Friday, February 02, 2018

the end of the story

I've always considered myself a "student of humanity." I love to "people watch"
and figure things out. Any airport layover or waiting for someone at the mall--
the time flies for me as I find people fascinating to observe.
And I found lots of human study in what ended up to be a two-day trial where I sat on the jury.
Once I got over my disappointment at being seated,
I found everything about the process fascinating.
Everyone in the courtroom watched us closely, wondering, I'm sure,
what we were thinking and considering about the outcome. 
In general my mind easily wanders, but not during this experience. It was riveting
and I had no trouble remembering most all of what I heard and saw.
I nodded off once, when we watched a 45 minute search for evidence filmed from
a camera on the officer's head. Sorting through a large basket of laundry got
monotonous. I wasn't the only one dozing in the warm courtroom. 
The defendant himself's snoring could be heard once when he fell asleep. 
And the bailiff in his corner, was asleep when the ADA needed him 
to show us evidence. He hopped to it quickly
and there was a quiet ripple of laughter as he shook himself awake.
The same bailiff or deputy as he called himself was a pretty funny
guy as he led us to and from the jury box, all lined up according to our number, 
in silent single file like a mama duck with her ducklings.
It was so hard not to talk amongst ourselves about the case until given 
the official word to deliberate.
I felt a strong sense of responsibility, and that I was having a part in 
affecting the future of the defendant. I prayed for wisdom.
But it was a pretty straight forward case with overwhelming evidence of guilt so the
decision was not hard. There was some deliberation on a minor charge,  
and of course a discussion of what "beyond reasonable doubt" means. 
"Reasonable" was the word that helped me.

After all was finished, the judge came to the jury room to thank us.
She was a wonderful judge and very professional, but when she talked to us
after the trial, she was down to earth, answering all our questions about
the defendant and the system in general. The experience affected me a lot, 
and in the end, as often is the case, I'm thankful I had the opportunity.

17 comments:

  1. I was glad to have had the opportunity to serve on a jury. It's quite a responsibility, Thanks for sharing your experience. Have a grand weekend1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Did “guilty” come with a fine? jail time? both?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it through with a good experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. Reading titles! I so enjoyed my jury time, sequestered. Compares with nothing else. Enjoyed reading about your experience. Perfect and in a nutshell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite a fine collection of books you have there, Dotsie. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your experience. Glad to hear you felt confident in your decision. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was such an interesting post. I've never called to serve on jury duty and personally am thankful for that. I find that in recent years I don't find waiting in airports to be frustrating. It's a wonderful place to people watch and meet interesting people. Hope you are able to catch up on all you had hoped to accomplish while you were in court.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad your jury duty didn't stretch into weeks, as they sometimes can. It's a huge responsibility, and one that is so important. Love the books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m glad it was a clear case to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been called to jury duty a few times but never shosen. It may be that I have a nephew who is a NYPD detective, and lawyers felt I would be partial. On one civil case it turned out I new both parties in the suit and had to be excused from the jury by the judge. That was such a surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love seeing the books on others' shelves! Jury duty, not so much. But it's good to hear that you made the best of it and felt confident in your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I felt the same way about my jury duty--wasn't looking forward to it, but glad I had the experience. Everyone should take their turn because they will come away with an appreciation for our justice system and not take it for granted. Times are achangin'!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I sat on a jury once. Like you I wasn't happy about being picked, but the whole trial was very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As Paul Harvey would say, "And, that's the rest of the story." If I were to sit in the defendants spot, I can't think of a person I'd rather have sitting in the jury. You are wise and fair. But, is it always that way? Have you watched the TV show, Bull? Really makes you think about the way juries are selected... about the dependence of "justice" on the choice of attorneys... your pocketbook... "luck of the draw"... cause for pondering. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's good that it was only a 2-day trial.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Dotsie,

    I've been summoned for jury duty more times than I remember throughout our married life. I NEVER look forward to going. Once in Greensboro, I was one of the people they interviewed for the jury. The case was concerning a woman whose husband had recently died, and it turns out he'd had a mistress and she claimed he had promised her some money when he died. I don't think she had it in writing, though. Anyway, when they asked me if I would be able to judge fairly, I told them that I was married with a young child and would NOT appreciate finding out my husband had promised money to another woman in the event of his death. The attorney thanked me and said I could go. :) I was being honest, too.

    I did actually serve on a one day trial about ten years ago, and it was very interesting. We also brought a "Guilty" verdict, because the evidence was pretty overwhelming. I really liked the judge in that case and felt lucky to have served on his case. I'm glad the experience turned out well for you. I'm one who loves to look at book titles in photos. :D I have that "Love and Hate in Jamestown" book; it was a good read. I see some Daniel Boorstin books; I gave my husband "The Discoverers" many years ago, and he thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm thinking perhaps the "Constitutional Journal" would be relevant for those serving in the court system.

    I enjoyed your post, Dotsie, and hope you have a good weekend! So glad to see the blue sky and sunshine today!!

    Hugs,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been called down several times, but never even ended up being interviewed. It was never convenient before, so I was glad, but it does sound interesting. And yes, I'm one of those who always is looking at others' bookshelves!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do love photos of books, and nice to hear that your juror experience was good.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...