Friday, February 10, 2017

on the high wire


The big circus made it's last stand in our city this week. The last time we went was when our boys were young. Now one was taking his children and they invited us to join them.

Our seats were up really high. We climbed endlessly it seemed, narrow steep stairs filled with people going both directions. The Gardener's bad back, my bad knee … what were we thinking. At least there was oxygen up there. Finally we arrived ready to plop into our seats. There were six smiling young adults to climb over to reach our seats. But why not go to the empty seats behind ours, they suggested, and step down into our chairs? Easy for 3, 5, 8, and 35 year-olds. But us? The Gardener bravely positioned his foot on the arm rest of the seat below. He teetered and towered at six and a half feet tall, his son reaching out to help. Later he joked that all eyes were on him, thinking the show had started right there––a giraffe on a high wire.

Safely down, he reached to assist me. It was a steep reach to get my first foot down into the seat below. But my other leg, with its two-year-old knee replacement, refused to follow. Awkward at best. I'm sure we were still part of the show though my descent was not as dramatic as the tall Gardener's.

I claimed the honor of my gray hair and marched down to the six, still smiling and friendly, and suggested they needed to rise and let me get to my seat. They didn't seem apologetic, but were very nice and, yes, smiling.

Once we got settled, the big show began in earnest. Even though far away, we could see and hear well. The kids were enthralled and mesmerized. Watching their faces was the very best part. I asked the Littlest later what she liked the most. "All of it, Grandma, just all of it."

I'm so thankful we were able to make circus memories with our grands at least this one time.

Farewell old friend.

16 comments:

  1. You are a brave circus lover!! I might have gotten up there (might have) but I would have never gotten down. I would have spent the whole performance thinking that as soon as I stood up, I would plunge to the ground below...and without a net!! To see it through the eyes of a child is magic.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you, your giraffe, and the grands all had such a good time at the circus! What fun! I haven't been to the circus for years. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting to those seats was certainly a workout, Dotsie. Your grand summed it all up the best! Through the eyes of a child...♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember going to the circus in the 1950s and took my own children in the 90s when the circus came to town. I'm so glad you were able to go one last time and that it was with your grandchildren. And glad you did not try to make that step down in the seat but went back and confronted those young whippersnappers! 😀 I hope they remember this when they're our age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally get the climbing thing, but it sounds like it was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I am certainly glad it all ended well and you enjoyed the show with your grandkids! But personally I think it was gutsy they suggested such a thing! Umm hello? I wouldn't have even tried, lol. We haven't been to the circus in several years. We took several of our grands cuz hubby got free tickets from work. Our seats were near the bottom though thank goodness. lol Have a good week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you were able to take your grands!! But, I am just a little concerned at the lack of thoughtfulness and common courtesy of the smiling sitters. Oh, I do love a few good manners. Happy you both navigated your own circus acts without incident!! ;) We are witness to change... in all of this. But, the magic is constant... in the eyes of a child. Love that you and The Gardener are such adventurers! blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I was going to offer a suggestion for those unwilling to move and it wouldn't have been pretty either. LOL! Glad that you got that straightened around. And I am glad that your grands enjoyed the circus. I doubt that the circus will be around much in the future. More's the pity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet response from your grand!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been to a circus but can imagine your grand were wide eyed and giddy all night. I sympathize with your knee not doing what you want, I'm watching my hubby with his trying to get it under control at times. He sat on a bike and tried to pedal the other day and said no way the knee can take the constant tight bend yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm surprised at the lack of consideration of those young adults, smiling or not. I'm glad your grands and you enjoyed the last circus show.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been in those high areas with narrow paths and would not had succeeded climbing over seats either. It's been ages since we took the kids to the circus. Enjoyed reading the response of your little granddaughter:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful that you were able to enjoy the circus with your grands!! Those are magical moments!

    Because Kati was born in 1993, she received a free circus ticket in honor of RB/B&B's 200th anniversary. We took the girls when Kati was 12 and Bekah was 5 and it was a delightful evening. We, too, had seats way up in the bleachers.

    Like your other commenters, I am bothered that the six smilers did not use common courtesy and suggested such an outlandish method of taking your seats! I wonder . . . are people so clueless about manners these days? Surely, they were not trying to be rude, but just totally thoughtless? Sigh . . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful that you got to see the circus! Hard to believe such an era is coming to an end. Glad that it all worked out for you to get to your seat past those six young folks who don't have a pain to think about in their joints, lol! You were kind and gracious, and thankfully it all went well! Your granddaughter summed it up well, glad you were able to make those memories with her!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful! So glad you didn't actually injure your knee crawling over. We have been to the circus a couple of times... years ago, when my children were much smaller. Delightful when you have little ones!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...