Sunday, July 31, 2016

with two hands

My sister finally retired after spending most of her adult life riding the early morning 
train, Monday through Friday, down into the city for her work day in a tall well-known "skyscraper." 
 I wondered what she would do when she no longer spent her days like that. 
One thing she told me she is doing is going to her neighbor's house every Tuesday for tea. 
Yes, her neighbor opens up her home every Tuesday morning for her neighbors 
to come and get to know each other over a cup of tea. 
That sounds really nice to me!
I read awhile ago an article about "double handed" coffee. 
The idea is to invite a small group of friends for coffee and a scone or muffin. 
The double-handed coffee concept is to turn off 
and put cell phones away, hold your coffee cup, look at each other and talk.

So I tried it.

 I invited three other women over for coffee and I had a few questions 
in mind to ask as we didn't all know each other well. 
I made coffee and put out scones I had bought (to keep it simple), 
a little fruit, and some pieces of chocolate. 

We never got past the first question which was to tell a bit about our life stories. 
It was fascinating and at times led to tangents, but that's OK. 
We learned so much about each other and the time flew. 
Technology did not distract us and I think we all came away 
from the time feeling refreshed in both old and new friendships.


21 comments:

  1. Hello. This is such a great idea you have shared. I think we can get too involved these days with our technology and forget about the good old days. I wish I lived closer and I'd come by for a cup of coffee. If you're in southern California, I'll
    have a cup waiting for you :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely awesome. Seriously, this is EXACTLY what it should be. I am so excited that you are starting this, Dottie - what an excellent way of living.

    Here's to you for starting a new tradition among your neighbor ladies. Love this.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS How many people do you continue planning on inviting?

      Will this be on a regular basis?

      ♥♥♥

      Delete
  3. I like this idea very much! I have a feeling that there will be another post or two as people catch on to this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Podsp,
    I l o v e this idea, dear friend!
    Since January, I've been meeting a "friend" from my Choir every Monday!
    Although we sing in Choir together, each in a different department, we really didn't know one another.
    I can tell you that a beautiful friendship has been blossoming!
    I've had thought of starting a "C.O.F.F.E.E." group very similar, but open to men and women.
    Time will tell!
    Thank you for sharing this and congratulations to your Sister on her retirement!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds really fine to me. Course I do think it is a long way between Tuesdays for your Sis. What else is she up to?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a splendid and congenial idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Dotsie. You've given me an idea for something I wanted to do but wasn't sure how to go about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Face-to-face time and conversation is refreshing! I think a Tuesday tea time sounds delightful!

    Love all the blue in your tea presentation...so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. An idea I've contemplated for some time - a weekly tea group. It appears to be a matter of putting out the invitations, the phones away and having a good visit. I'm glad your gathering was pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so like this idea. Time to slow down and have a good chat.
    betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE this idea! I'm going to give it a go here in my neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great idea to follow-thru with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a perfectly wonderful idea! I'd be all over it! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds like a perfectly wonderful idea! I also want to thank you for your sweet comment on my post :) Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the idea of conversation without the technology, we could all use more of that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A weekly tea sounds lovely! Those scones look so nice ♥

    summerdaisy.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a nice idea and very timely,Podso, as pleasant conversation seems needed more than ever in this world. Social media seems to be taking up too much of people's times these days. I will have to try this with some neighbors who I don't know that well as yet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this idea, Dotsie. I must give this serious consideration! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this, Dotsie. What a great idea, and isn't it strange how our society so quickly moved away from that genuine visiting and getting to know one another, and instead substituted a short, distracted, non engaging type of 'time' spent together.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, how God must be chuckling at us... you the messenger for me last week with the note to a friend... your deciding to invite the quiet lady... now, this. I had been mulling over Tuesdays at Tanna's... out of the blue... Then, this. Ha! I'm going to have to give it more serious consideration now! ;) Love this, Dotsie. You are such a vessel of His love. blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...