Friday, July 22, 2016

a cheap date


The grandees and I enjoyed a whole day together
with lots of entertainment that didn't cost a thing.
After collecting them from their house, 
the first thing we did was to park in the shade near
the demolition of building where I used to work. 
So much to see, though not quite as exciting as an implosion.
If we turned our heads to the right we could watch a basket
of men rising to the top to work on a cell phone tower.
Very exciting, especially for the middle grandee,
who happens to be a boy.
Then off to the airport to watch planes take off and enjoy the breeze on a hot day.
And a little exercise running down the steep hill
and climbing back up the rain eroded path.
They were quite impressed Grandma knows about
veggie sticks and brought them as a snack.
On the way back home we read a chapter from the book we are reading together
while Grandpa drove. It kept things nice and quiet.
Then at Grandma's house: lunch, play, more stories and almost a whole
bags of cookies consumed (no one is claiming credit).
Seems something always is carried home from Grandma's house
and this time it was these colored little (shot) glasses I bought for them at 
20 cents a piece. Amazing how crazy they were for them.
They play restaurant a lot, so that might be one reason.

There's at least five things here so I'll join Amy's Five on Friday.

19 comments:

  1. Fun with the grands ... making memories! I would have enjoyed this adventure, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandsons used to love to do similar things, Dotsie. The shot of the children watching the planes bought back memories for me as my Daddy used to take us to the airport every Sunday afternoon. He adored flying and never tired of watching planes and wished the same for his children. Such a cute photo of the children in the car! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. You found lots of good things to do with your grands. That's great that they enjoyed those shot glasses. I always enjoy things in miniature. It's also fun that they know when to cover their faces for privacy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your activities were very inventive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your ideas for a cheap date with the grands!! Young children have no concept of cost and are just as delighted with cheap thrills...maybe even more so! You certainly have "grandmother eyes." The colorful shot glasses are wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun day! I love their photo with their faces covered! Aren't they the jewels in the crown of life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is no end to the list of fun things to do when there are grandchildren to take part! I can imagine that every one of those activities is stored in precious memory banks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool day, look plane spotting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you are teaching the kids how to enjoy life and be observant.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In my twilight years, I still remember the times with my grandmother as some of my fondest memories. Your grandchildren will always remember these good times and thank you for them. Time well spent, I'd say, to live on in memory after we're gone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The moneyless dates are always just as fun...always! I sure have many memories of such dates with my grandmothers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Podso,
    What an amazing date you had with the grands, dear friend!
    Oh, how I remember playing "waitress" at my Grandmother's using her aluminum glasses!
    My Sister liked the brightly colored ones, me. . .I always wanted the "silver" one!
    I just know those "shot" glasses are going to see many hours of entertainment!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post!! You are a girl after my own heart!! I have seen your name in the Land of Blog but am happy to meet you 'in person' tonight! I will now become your newest follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. PS...It says there was an ERROR in following! I will be back and try again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's fun to do something interesting but doesn't cost money with the grands and I had to smile at your knowledge of the veggie sticks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am glad you saw my post. This is the second time one of your posts has led me to write a post. Your post My Bliss in June led to my post on puttering.

    I saw a post on Instagram of a grandmother who was finding rocks on the beach with her grandchildren. She painted a letter of the alphabet on each rock. Then she created a paper with the alphabet letters and the grands were to match the rocks to the letter on the paper - easy, fun & time together.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun day!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...