Saturday, August 08, 2015

a mixed sprinkle



I knew my young friend K loves old things so I brought out Mom's 72 year-old crystal ice tea glasses for her little sprinkle. We were having a small shower (sprinkle) for K's new baby boy. Because her first is a girl, we thought some boys' books would be just the thing to help celebrate his arrival. So along with the crystal, I arranged some old books, matchbox cars, and candles in recycled olive jars--an eclectic mix to celebrate this boy--with aged beauty along with simple and casual, and trumping all, a love for books. (Little One helped me arrange the table and thought the match box cars with "pizazz" should be front and center. She has a good eye.)
We read some children's books aloud, and then watched as K opened
one book after another--a mix of baby board books and story books for later. 
I think they will need to build a book shelf.

I usually give books for baby presents and often include this quote with the gift.
It's a favorite of mine. If only young parents could slow down and
realize the great value in reading to their kids!

"Reading aloud is the most intense, exclusive, intimate and powerful thing you can
do with your children. When you read to them you can't wash the dishes, you can't
drive the car, you can't make the beds. You can only read aloud.
That speaks powerfully to young children. And to older ones.
The great books open the way for conversation about all the important issues of
life in a way that what happened on a television show or even in a schoolyard doesn't."
--Eldon Ross Lipson

16 comments:

  1. How nice for your friend! Reading aloud is one of the greatest gifts one can give a child. I love your quote! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so thoughtful and cool! I see more and more baby showers asking for books along with a gift or card (and can you believe the price of a card?) How smart!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely sprinkle! Books are a fabulous gift. The quote is perfect and so true!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quote--spot on! And so are those cupcakes and antique glasses. Tell Little One I like her arrangement. Very orderly. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that...a sprinkle! The glasses are beautiful and I really love that quote!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Podso,
    A d o r a b l e!!!
    I adore that you encouraged Little One to help with the table decor!!!
    Those wooden blocks spelling out baby's name are precious!!!
    I sat in a rocker and read to my sons while they were in the womb!!!
    Many an hour were spent reading aloud to our sons. . .
    I always smiled when "Mr. Ed" would read and they would say,
    "That's not the way the story goes. . .Mommy reads it all"!!!
    Thank you for the gentle reminder for new Mommies to read to their children!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:35 PM

    Oh how lovely. I like this idea, I sure do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very wise words in that quote - I have copied it!
    I agree books are a great gift and nearly every parcel I send to France includes books!
    Your "sprinkle" (love that word) table looks very welcoming, Little One has an excellent eye for design, picked up from her Gran no doubt!
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet "sprinkle" for your friend! I love the idea of giving books. I love the quote about books that you include with your gifts. It is profound. And I love that Little One likes to decorate for occasions. I believe that she is learning about acts of service from you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an odorable idea...sprinkle! I really like your table setting...the little cars just made it! Great idea about giving books too...love the quote!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice party! I love the quotation and also wish more thing people saw the value in reading to their children. I too often buy books for gifts. There are so many wonderful ones that all children should have the privilege of owning, to be read to over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Little One was right! Those match box cars add just the right pizazz to the decor!! =) LOVE when they help!! Thank you so much for sharing that quote, Dotsie. So true. So true. blessings and big hugs~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  13. The centrepiece looks awesome thanks to the help you had. I've not heard of a 'sprinkle' before but it does fit the description and little showers can be as much fun as big ones.
    I've given books before to the young ones and now give them a gift card to go and choose their own which they like.
    Love the aqua icing on the cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet baby sprinkle, Dotsie! My daughter-in-law had a sprinkle for her third--it was a girl and her friends who had girls gave her their baby girl's outgrown clothes. and baby equipment. After two boys she needed pink! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tried to respond on my phone, but no cigar. :) Love that you call it a 'sprinkle.' You have a knack of making the most simple get-together a real celebration. A gift.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You put on such a pretty table for every event you have! I'm sure all the guests felt special.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...