Wednesday, September 11, 2013

skypartee




All of us gathered around the table on this particular morning have been friends for many years ... from back in the days when our children were young. As the years went by and the children left our nests, we started gathering to celebrate our birthdays, mostly with tea or lunch in our homes. We've missed our friend who moved to Germany, though we often Skype with her for our book clubs.

I had the idea to give her a virtual birthday party. Why not? We gathered for tea as we always do, and she "sat" at the head of the table. I had asked her husband to be sure she was there, and at least the birthday part of it was a surprise.
It worked so well. We almost forgot B. wasn't really right at the table with us.
 These pictures look like we are having a "working tea," 
with papers and books spread around. Well indeed we were, of sorts. 
For we each brought a "virtual" gift to give her.
And words to share to encourage her.
I "gave" her a children's book for her to read to her grandchildren when she skypes with them. 
For when I visited her this summer, I was so taken by a chest in her living room where she has
toys for her little granddaughters and takes them out "to play" when they Skype. 
She even showed us where she has little mice hiding 
around her house that her grands look for when they "visit."
After we finished the gifts she took us on a tour of their flat. I was a little nervous 
when she held her computer outside the window to show us the busy street. 
As icing on the non-existent cake, we enjoyed blueberry tea and jam fresh 
from Lydia Grace's trip to visit lighthouses in Maine and thereabouts. 
A fine morning indeed!

18 comments:

  1. That is a really nice idea! How sweet to present 'gifts' to your friend as well. We Skype weekly with our daughter and grandsons and don't know what I'd do without actually 'seeing' them between our visits out west. It's a marvelous invention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember your post from awhile back discussing a book with your friend joining in from Germany. Now a lovely birthday tea. And, I love her idea of skypeplaytime (spellcheck hates me now) with her grandchildren. I'm going to pass this idea along to everyone I know who grandparents from afar.

    Another hot day here. I'll try to remember and not complain when the winter winds blow.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. lydia grace2:47 PM

    Oh, Friend, this was indeed a special morning as we gathered to celebrate our away friend's birthday. What a great idea you had there!!!You always bless me and I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. I really do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What cool friends you all are! Bet that she loved being honored this way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet idea! I bet you just made her day...her birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh...and what are those pumpkiny looking little muffins? They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is SO AWESOME, what a neat thing to use with technology. Love it.

    I just found myself with gooseflesh reading it, how truly special.

    You are SUCH a good friend - and you know how much I love friendship teas!

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a special thing to think of...a 'virtual' tea. I can just imagine the fun you all had! Your lovely tablecloth looks familiar...I just might have napkins like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What awesome friends you are!

    I love how technology allows us to stay close!

    My friend has grandchildren in NH and IL and she lives in Florida. She skypes with them every week and reads them books etc....

    Such a blessing!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Skype is such a great bit of technology. Your birthday party idea is wonderful. Reminds me of sitting our traveling children on the table during Thanksgiving. How we would have loved Skype back in the day when we lived far away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice idea and I'll bet the friend in Germany will remember the Skype party with pleasure.
    Your group of friends are special to look out for each other, even when not in the same country.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an absolutely delightful idea! I'm sure that your friend was blessed by her party, although I bet everyone had a lovely time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was a fantastic idea! What a nice way to keep her included in the ring of friendship. And I like her idea of hiding the little mice around the house for when the grandkids come to visit. I'm going to steal that idea - and hope my cat doesn't find them all first. lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a nice idea! I loved to SKYPE with my grandsons when we lived far from them. I never thought to do a SKYPE get together with some of my friends back in New York. I'll have to suggest it to them when winter comes and everyone's life slows down a little

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awww...what a wonderful thing to do for your friend - she has some very special friends in you and the ladies :) Thank you for sharing with us!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fine friends indeed!! I love the way the birthday honoree has playtime with her grands and the looking for the mice is priceless! I may have to hide some mice myself. ;) Your warm friendships are always so inspiring, Dotsie. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful idea. Skype is a wonderful thing isn't it?!!!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...