Saturday, October 22, 2011

the little creamer collection

My mother had a beautiful dark blue Hall teapot when I was growing up. That's how I learned that if it's a "Hall" piece of pottery, it's good. Hall was known for it's teapots back in the day, until serving tea took a back seat to coffee drinking. I read a little about Hall china and learned that it was the first china to be lead free, because they developed a very hot kiln that allowed brilliant colors (like in fiestaware), and thereby killed all the lead. I have always loved going to antique shops or flea markets, and therefore I began to notice Hall china. One day I happened upon a huge shop that had a whole section made up like a 50s kitchen (even black and white tiled floors) completely filled with all kinds of Hall stuff. I have always collected/been attracted to little pitchers, and that day my love for Hall creamers began.
Since then it has been fun to have something to look for when I go antiquing, since I usually can't afford to buy much else.  There must be plenty others collecting these as they are very hard to find now. A couple on these shelves may be "knock offs," and a couple obviously aren't Hall at all, but the majority have the famous Hall stamp on the bottom.

The Gardener came upon this old brown shelf (now painted black) that was perfect for my little collection, which I now consider complete as the shelves are filled. (Well, I guess I could make it 100% Hall, but I do love the sweetness of the  other creamers too.) Even though I have enough, I still enjoy the "hunt" of looking for them.
Reposted from two years ago today. See Chari's Happy to Design for  more Sunday Favorites!

16 comments:

  1. They are adorable! And they look so perfect in that black shelf. It's always fun to have something to collect. The fun is in the hunt itself :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Podso,
    These are so cute and petite! I adore anything in groupings! The Gardener was sweet to paint your shelf black...really accents your pitchers! Enjoy your "hunting"!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are beautiful, Podso, I have never heard of Hall pottery. Your husband is so sweet to find the shelf for you.
    Have a lovely Sunday.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a nice collection of little pitchers. I have a number of them atop the linen press in the laundry room...they are rather addictive, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I love them...those wonderful little shapes and all the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:34 PM

    Ooo - I do love a good Hall piece. I've a little brown teapot for one - so sweet - and a large white Aladdin's lamp looking teapot with the Hall mark. I do like these little creamers of yours, though - something about the simplicity of their shape and the strength of their colors! Very nice!
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute collection! They look nice on the black shelf.
    -Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that little red/white transferware creamer tucked in there for good measure. A little rebellion is healthy, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is such fun to collect items and especially ones that recall early memories to mind. My aunt had a few pieces of Hall pottery, and she left me a cobalt blue ice bucket.....giggle, at least that is what I call it. I have always loved it. Your collection is most special!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dotsie...

    My friend, I certainly can see why you enjoy collecting the little Hall creamers...they are sooo pretty! I love the vibrant colors and they look beautiful displayed on your black shelf! I didn't realize that Hall was the first to manufacture dishware without the lead...or at least the lead was burned out during the firing process. That is so interesting....thanks for sharing that tidbit with us! Just the other day I took out of my cabinet, the most beautiful goldenrod colored bowl made by Hall...because of the autumn season. My honey found this pretty little Hall bowl in a box of old dishes that was stored in his parent's home. I think it's the only piece of Hallware that I have but I love the beautiful color of it.

    So happy to see you today, dear friend! Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful collection of Hall creamers with us...I enjoyed it!

    Warmest autumn wishes,
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've not heard of Hall pottery before but the creamers are delightful, such a homely shape, probably would make you want to collect them all.
    They display so well on your repainted shelf unit too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a sweet collection of creamers and I like the shelf they're displayed in. I don't know of the Hall pottery. Thanks for sharing about it. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  13. Of all the collections I have seen this is one of the sweetest! A perfect little shelf to display them too. Is that a Old Britain Castles piece? I have a set of those.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Podso
    I have a number of creamers too but have never seen the Hall make before, they're really sweet.
    Yours look nice displayed on a shelf too, mine are hiding in the china cabinet.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love those! Thanks for the history lesson. I didn't even know what Hall china was. Such a pretty collection!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a very pretty collectible and I'm sure it's fun to find one when you are hunting in an antique shop.

    I always look for Irish Belleek china peices which are also hard to find. I love the ones with the little shamrocks on them.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...