Saturday, April 26, 2008

To Poach or Not to Poach


We were treated to perfectly poached eggs when visiting Lulu and Stefano recently. He is a perfectionist. He has a very good pan and has making them down to a science, or rather, an art.  Watching him work his craft, we were mesmerized. And of course, since he could be an outstanding salesman, we decided we would now begin to have poached eggs. 

So began The Search. I tried a cheaper version of what I now call a "poaching system."  Sadly, the eggs stuck to the egg cups. Messy, indeed, and not pretty, for sure. Then I began to price really good systems. Hmm, did I really have room for another pan in our crowded cupboards?

So I visited a shop just for the kitchen. You probably know it. It's a little bit of kitchen heaven. I asked the salesperson about egg poachers. "You absolutely must try these!" she exclaimed.  She took me over to something that looked like it could be sports' equipment. "These take no storage room, which is one reason people love them."  I've never tried any of that new-fangled silicone stuff before, but I decided to take it home and give it a tentative try. These "pods" simply float in simmering water. 

Amazing! I can testify to a perfectly poached egg!  Wonder of wonders! Guess I found my "poaching system."

(photo of egg in silicone egg pod, floating in water...)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...