Monday, March 10, 2008

The Wheels on the Bus


DON'T THINK  I'LL ever get used to turbulence on a plane. As many times as I have flown, the fear remains. Our short flight to Chicago had more turbulence than a little flight should be allowed. I turned to frequent-flyer husband, "Is this some of the worst turbulence you've experienced?" (implying, "and you're still here to talk about it?")

"Not the worst," he smiled back at me. My eyes closed. My coping mechanism: I envision myself back in Africa, riding a bus over the severe potholes. Up and down the bus goes, as we jostle around inside, holding on for dear life. I've even been known to chant, "The wheels on the bus are going round and round, and over pot holes, that's for sure. My it's a bumpy ride."

When the turbulence ends for awhile, the relief is as sweet as when a pain pill kicks in, dulling sharp pain. I sometimes feel exhausted.  During some of this flight's bumpier moments, Spouse looked at me and asked, "Did we ever get the executor of our will straightened out?" I hope no other passengers heard my screech, "WHY are you asking me that NOW?  Is there a reason? Could you find a better time?"

We got there. And our flight home was smooth sailing compared to the one going. I always wonder if other passengers are as calm as they look.

2 comments:

  1. The winds were in between those flights, but maybe the winds were strong on Friday. The Lord brought
    you there and back safely!
    Sing a new song!

    Those are some holes in the road!

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. These havebeen interesting posts. I'm not sure that I ever saw that many potholes in Haiti. Now some of the roads in the country were just muddy or ruts when they had dried out.

    Your post below rings a chord. I remember after Don and I were married, one of the things I wanted to do was go to the county fair. We went, and my, it seemed so small compared to what it had been when I was a child.

    It is neat to go back.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...