Friday, February 22, 2008

In the Pink


A friend commented recently about our coming granddaughter: "I bet you're doing some handwork!" "Yep!" After years of crocheting and knitting baby sweaters, caps, blankets, and booties for other babies, it's deliciously fun to be making something pink for one of our own! 

The first thing I ever knitted was a pink sweater for myself, in highschool. I think I still have it as a sort of monument, but I bet I hardly wore it. I think it looked pretty homemade. But when I learned to crochet, I found it much more forgiving. I could easily correct mistakes and my hands would fly. In nursing school we'd all climb on the bed in one of our rooms in the evenings (all-girl school you know, so no guys to hang out with) and crochet the night away while our tongues flew––you can imagine. Ponchos, scarves, vests, shawls, afghans––they were all "in" in those days. It's fun to see young girls taking up knitting and crocheting again.

Now, back to my pink!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...