Monday, June 29, 2020

A Tale of Two Chairs


When we give something away, God sometimes gives us back something even better. A couple of years ago I gave away our much loved old wood highchair without thinking too seriously about it. There was an urgent need for a family with a baby and another foster baby arriving. Both our pack n play and highchair went quickly over to their house. 

I kind of thought I might get it returned, but when the foster child left, I heard nothing about it. By this time I knew we had a surprise grand baby coming. I kept looking for another old wood highchair but none were affordable. 

So we got an inexpensive highchair from IKEA that all our young family friends apparently L O V E. In fact I read that someone actually took one through a car wash--they are so durable and easy to clean. After our grandson's first birthday cupcake eating, his parents just hosed theirs down. 


It has served us well this year, but I call it a "spaceship" and it seems like it would be hot to sit in during our summer months. Plus, it's not quite like our decor.

And then one day a friend texted me a picture of an old dusty highchair. "Do you know anyone who needs this?" 

Within an hour it was in our garage. It cleaned up so well and even matches our kitchen chairs and takes up way less room. The white spaceship went somewhere else where it was needed.

It is a lesson to me about patience and how God delights in blessing us. 

I can't look at it without smiling and remembering.


14 comments:

  1. Was it the original chair? How lovely that you have such a 'family' babychair back in your home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The old beautiful furniture is a treasure. Even if you can't take it through a car wash, haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a new grandchild last year? I missed that somehow. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, Dotsie! The old high chair looks just perfect in your dining room- unlike the "spaceship."

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a precious story of God's provision! He is so very good to us!! The new/old highchair is gorgeous and looks like it was made for your home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dotsie, The old chair certainly fits in nicely. God is good in His time. Thanks for sharing. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is very good to us! Even about such things as the perfect wooden highchair. It looks wonderful in your dining room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful story of Yehovah's grace! Another reminder of His timing...

    ReplyDelete

  9. Ahhh, yes, much, much better. I am sure that there is plenty good to say about the function of the space ship, but not much good to be said about its charm. Glad that you now have something more in keeping with your home. How would the grands know that they were at your house after all?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dotsie,

    It's sooo good to see a post from you!!! I really miss your regular posts! Well, that wooden highchair is just perfect for your room and the existing furniture. It looks like it was made to go with your dining table chairs! We had a wooden high chair for our son (oak) and I'm not sure what happened to it. It was a hand-me-down from Hal's grandmother. I like the wooden one much better than the space ship -- looks like something you'd find in the Jetsons' home. :D

    I love your statement that God delights in blessing us. His Blessings truly abound! I hope you're well, Dotsie, and hope you have a great week! Happy Fourth of July to you!

    Hugs,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a blessing! Like you, we also love vintage or antique anything and those "new models" go against our decor. We have a couple of antique baby chairs that serve as great little accent pieces even if not needed for a baby. Yes, I'd say your newly acquired little treasure looks quite at home in your kitchen! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's the little things that can mean so much and tell us that God cares about those, too. Your new "old" chair is lovely. We keep one of the IKEA variety in our storage room.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes, this one is so much better than the spaceship :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...