Saturday, May 09, 2020

Let's try 6 on Saturday


1.Younger friends have been so thoughtful in adding our short list to theirs when they shop at Costco or Aldi's, while I do curbside for the bulk of our groceries. So when we ventured out to a big hardware store yesterday, it had been 60 days since we'd been inside a store. The only strange thing was most everyone wearing masks, and sales folks being extra helpful. But when trying to talk through the plastic separation, AND a mask, it was difficult to hear. 
And I might have lowered my mask, which I question the value of anyway, to make my request clear.
2. I was wanting paint and had been waiting so patiently for two months. 
I found just the blue I wanted for a fun project and began to paint our porch chairs soon after I got home. 
The weather has been so wonderful and the low humidity just may be helping to give me all the energy I seem to have.
Actually it rained an unusually soft rain while I painted, and it was "a moment"--
painting is like big coloring for me, and the sound of rain on the roof just added to the pleasure.

3. I was reading in Luke the story of the man who was getting visitors so knocked on the door of a friend late at night asking for bread. He got it, my version said, due to his impudence, which a footnote defined as "persistance."
I know the word impudent to mean "not showing respect; impertinent." Maybe in some fashion it means both, but the reason my antenna rises when I read the word "impudent" is the 500 lines I had to write when I was a kid. 
"It is impudent and rude to say "so what?'" 
And I have not used that expression since.

4. Our table has never been so silent. Though I'm obviously cooking a lot, as most of us are, 
I wonder will I get my knack back for cooking for a full table of guests? And when?
5. Fifty years and one week ago, my boyfriend (a.k.a. The Gardener) and I climbed a favorite mountain of ours across the Hudson River from our college, and he asked me to marry him. It happened to be on the same date, two years prior, of our first date. I put this very special anniversary on fb, and sigh, everyone thought it was our 50th wedding anniversary, 
even though I said that "he asked a question and I gave the best answer I've ever given." 
I think when you get to the alter (we were married in a church like most back then) you've already been asked the question! There was no photographer there, people didn't do that kind of thing back then, but I guess we each took a photo of the other and I had fun putting them together to look like one image. But my guess is we were sitting a bit closer on such an occasion! 

6. Last but not least on this long post, my beloved and only still-living uncle celebrates his 95th birthday today. 
We had a lovely visit with them on face time--once we heard they knew how to do that. 
He collected old cars throughout his life, and we loved the treat of going for a ride in them.

11 comments:

  1. That's a delightful vintage car!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post...and Happy 50+ 1 week engagement. lol We, too, are quarantined and have been cooking up a storm. Sure do miss having grands and kids around to eat it..especially the 'treats' as I seem to get more than my share. lol
    Have a blessed, wonderful Mother's Day weekend. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! I like your spliced photo...well done. The proposal sounds wonderful and, yes, I imagine that there was not quite that amount of distance. I enjoyed the peek into your cozy home. As a nurse, you'd fully understand the follies of mask wearing. My sister the nurse can go into a full riff on the subject. I wear mine if I think it will help others feel better; otherwise, I feel pretty awful wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary AND have a beautiful Happy Mother's Day! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your empty table reminds me what we are all missing, Dotsie. Your chair is such a pretty happy color. It sounds like you enjoy painting a lot more than I do. If you are like us, 50 years surely came quickly. Blessings to you and the gardener for many more happy years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun memories and great photos! You really did well to stay out of stores for 60 days!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 50th Anniversary-soon-to-be within the next year (or 2?) Lovely memories of your uncle. Your porch should look quite festive once you're done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this post. You have some special memories. The chair looks great! And congratulations on your engagement anniversary! Happy Mother's Day and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will do what is required, but oh how I hate wearing a mask. I think they tend to make us not only socially distant, but emotionally distant as well. It is so hard to connect with someone without the benefit of facial expression. Sigh.

    I love the color you chose for your porch chairs, and I can well imagine the pleasure of painting them on a rainy day. I think painting a "thing" is much more pleasurable than painting a wall . . . even though the results are just as thrilling.

    Happy anniversary of your engagement! It is good to remember those moments when life took a permanent turn, and this one such a happy turn!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Masks are not required, or even recommended here unless one is showing symptoms of a cold or other respiratory viruses, as they don't protect the wearer, but the people around them. That makes me glad.
    Your chairs are such a pretty colour.
    Engagements are fun to remember, and yes, there was no photographer lurking in the woods, and no grand set up when we got engaged, either. Have a wonderful week, Dotsie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am disappointed that you think a mask doesn't help. It certainly helps us muffle our coughs and sneezes in public which may help others if we happen to be ill with covid, and visa versa. In fact my husband and I were in Costco recently and a man walking behind me let out a very lous and violent sneeze. I actually gasped at the sound. Thankfully he was wearing a mask or else his droplets would have been all over me!

    Your engagement proposal sounds very romantic--we always celebrate that occasion too!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...