Thursday, July 30, 2020

It's not all about me

I had the audacity to make my parents a cute little card on my birthday some years back, using this photo, to thank them for having me. I wasn’t exclaiming that I was so wonderful, but seriously thanking them for raising me. The older I get the more I think of my parents on my birthday, especially my mom (for obvious reasons). My birthday is not all about me.

My mother was probably the greatest influencer in my life. She quietly invested in her children’s lives by loving us, reading to us, clothing and feeding us (delicious) meals, organizing us, teaching us what we needed to know, enabling us to stretch our wings, and most of all teaching us about Jesus’ love for us. 

I know they waited awhile for me, as my sister was almost four years older than I, and then waited another 3-4 weeks for me to actually arrive (I had been due the 4th of July and came the 30th). I’ve always heard a bumpy truck ride helped to move me along. My grandparents came for the month of July to help my dad build our house. They finally left to go back home the day before I was born!

Mom didn’t have an easy life as a busy pastor’s wife, but I never heard her complain. Never. I also don’t think I was the easiest of their four kids to rear. The middle of three girls (with a baby brother), I was the one to march outside the lines. So that’s why I’m thinking especially of my mom on this another birthday. I miss her, but I see her everywhere—in myself and in our home, in the way I do things, and in her progeny. “Her children rise up and call her blessed.”



15 comments:

  1. Such a sweet photo, I love the way your toes turn in!
    i miss my mother still , even after twenty years, but the lovely memories stay with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos, and a lovely tribute to your mother. Happy Birthday, Dotsie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely idea, to send your parents a thank you note on your birthday. As adults we used to take Mom out to dinner on out birthdays calling it her birthing day. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely tribute with some of your history. I wasn't the easiest child for my dear mom to raise, either. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday, Dotsie! Reading your account of your mother is lovely. I wish every child could have a mother like you describe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could this be my favorite post that you have written? (And have I said that before about another?) What tender ponderings about your mother and her influence in your life . . . from birth even to now. Happy birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photos and memories. The older we get, the easier it is to look back and view our life with fondness and wisdom. My mom was very sick when she was pregnant with me and I was a bit premature but she says I started walking early and was independent and stubborn from that point on. I gave her a lot of grief in my middle school years. :)
    Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute photo of YOU and a nice family photo. How sweet of you to share your memories. Happy Birthday sweet friend! Enjoy your weekend! Birthday hugs coming your way, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Memory Lane is one of the dearest to visit, especially when the memories are as sweet as yours. Such a darling photo of your mother and dad with you three girls gathered around. You have an especially pert look on your little face. Darling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Podso,
    Love seeing these vintage photos!
    What a cute idea for a birthday card!
    I'm sure you were the "apple of your Mother's eye".
    You bring joy to all!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy (belatedly) Birthday, Dotsie! Lovely thoughts about your mom. I've always wondered why mothers weren't remembered on their children's birthdays. I try to make a point of acknowledging my daughters-in-laws on my grandchildren's birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful tribute to your mother, and a happy birthday to you! I agree with you, that celebrating your birthday is also celebrating those who helped you to become who you are. I loved hearing about your mother, what a precious treasure she was in your life, just a darling picture that you shared of you and your family! Many happy blessings to you on your birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful, wonderful! On behalf of mothers everywhere, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dotsie, Having a good mother is one of God's blessings. When they do it right we only see it in retrospect. I had a wonderful mother who was dedicated to her children! Very cute photos. Thanks for sharing and have a great week. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...