Monday, July 22, 2019

a perfect setting

Our summer book club was simple: a children's classic that
some of us had read to our children:  The Wind in the Willows.
I wasn't crazy about the book the first time I tried to read it, but this time
I enjoyed it more and gained a new appreciation for it, though it is still
not my favorite book by any means.
But we had a wonderful "picnic" breakfast down in 
Bonnie's "Little Book Room."
The treats were carefully chosen to go along with the story
and we enjoyed such tastiness while we discussed.
Bonnie's daughter had just returned from Malaysia where she bought her 
mom a beautiful copy of the book (centerpiece top photo.)

It was lovely to visit B's private children's library--the perfect setting to discuss such a book.
Some of us had contributed volumes to it, some of us had watched it become a book room.
A beautiful morning with good friends. 
So inviting to linger in the coolness of the library on such a hot day.

Bonus:
A posse of good friends celebrated birthdays this summer with a day in the mountains.
We got more than a few looks, and mostly smiles, 
as we--older, hatted women--sailed into a parking spot in downtown Blowing Rock! 


14 comments:

  1. The day in the mountains looks like such fun! What stylish ladies you are too! I didn't care for that book when I read it. Maybe it's time to read it again! Love the goodies that were served. How nice! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Podso! It's been so long since I blogged regularly, but I'm back and trying to write posts often and get around to my friends' blogs, too! This was such a lovely post and photos. I've never read The Wind in the Willows, but it's only one of tons of "famous" books I haven't read. I seem to follow my own Long and Winding Road, as the header of my blog says :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the hats! This is a book that requires a certain easing in, but I do love it. Perhaps it is time to find it again. I like the descriptions of food and sweet domesticity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A private children's library, what fun, and that is a nice edition of the book. I always wear a sun hat when outside so I like your ladies in hats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that book and how wonderful for you to be in a book club. Wished we had one around here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always loved The Wind in the Willows. It must have been interesting to hear differing opinions on it.
    Very elegant ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun gathering to discuss The Wind in the Willows. Love it. I read it for the first time as an adult and enjoyed it. We came upon the Wind in the Willows museum along the Thames on our last visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the children's library at your friend's home, Dotsie. So many volumes! The Wind in the Willows folding book is a pretty centerpiece for your discussion. I love all the floppy brimmed hats. I wear a hat when we walk in the mornings. You all look marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, that certainly is the perfect setting in which to discuss a children's book! I'll bet you ladies had a wonderful (and delicious) time!

    I had looked at The Wind in the Willow many times and it didn't look appealing. But once I read it aloud to my little daughter, I became engaged with the story and learned to love the characters. Maybe the slower pace of reading aloud helped? It is an unusual story, isn't it? :)

    What a grand birthday celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE the Wind in the Willows! The characters are so endearing. I love how you match your food with the books you read. We've never done that with our book club, but it would be fun to try. And that library, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the mountains...how fun! I have never red the book, although I have heard of and seen it on occasion...LOVE the illustrations so much. How great to have a children's library in one's home! I hope you are enjoying our little cool down!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Read...I have never READ, not red the book...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It seems I'm not the only one who has been away for awhile, but it's good to visit here again. I'm back for awhile again and glad to be here! Wishing you well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm intrigued by Bonnie's Little Book Room private children's library! Is it in her basement? Tell me it's not, because that's only going to make me wish I had a basement! Love Wind in the Willows and how you matched the food to the book.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...