Tuesday, June 25, 2019

recently rediscovered


  I'm so thankful my parents encouraged me to start working at a young age. 
First it was babysitting jobs, and only one of my regular jobs was easy.
 The others involved cooking supper, cleaning up the kitchen, reading stories, and Saturday night baths. Often I cared for large families. But I am so grateful for all the experiences and the training I received from such work. 
And then came the day when I took my SS card and went down to the local nursing home to apply for a job as a nurse's aid. Then the experiences really began. Caring for elderly patients in ways I never anticipated was tough, but stood me in good stead in life experiences and for nursing school. 

(I see so many young people today who don't work in the summers 
and think of all they are missing that might help them as they mature in life.)

But I digress. The main point is to share a poem I recently rediscovered. A good friend showed me a journal I had given her a few years ago, and inside I had copied this poem. The poet is approaching 90 now but still so active and just signed with a publisher for her next poetry volume. She is the connection to the babysitting discourse above. I babysat often for her five kids and it was one of those all encompassing jobs. Wow, a lot of responsibility and I was only 14.  
I sure learned a lot and am grateful. 

Wrong Turn
by Luci Shaw

I took a wrong turn the other day.
A mistake, but it led me to the shop where I found
the very thing I'd been searching for.


With my brother I opened a packet of old letters from my mother and saw a side of her
that sweetened what had been deeply sour.
Later that day the radio sang a song from
a time when I was discovering love,
and it folded me into itself again.

from What the Light was Like, WordFarm, 2006

9 comments:

  1. I love the new look here! Thank you for sharing the photos and the gratefulness you feel toward your parents for giving you a good responsible upbringing. My life was the same way and I, too, am thankful for parents who put me out there to help me learn from life experiences. We passed that on to our two. So I understand where you are coming from when you look at so much of the youth today who do not have a summer job. I find it amazing that this lady is about to turn 90 and just signed with a publisher for another volume of poetry! That is how I would like to be when I am approaching 90...should the Lord tarry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning responsibility at a young age goes a long way towards preparing one for adulthood! My husband is one of the best examples of this. As one of eight children, he (and his siblings) was expected to work around the home and the garden and the farm, as well as work outside jobs when they were old enough. All of them grew to be responsible and hard workers. And their attitude about work is good! I have to say that Ron can work circles around me!

    Speaking of a love for one's work . . . your friend Luci Shaw must truly love what she does!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh...now I am intrigued by the final photo... The poetry was intriguing as well, but I never understand it. Are poets always trying to be obtuse? I, too, had responsibilities as a teenager beginning at age 12 (scary) and babysitting. There are few 12-year-olds I’d leave with children these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes...times have changed. Since I was the youngest, I witnessed all of my siblings (the boys and girls) beginning to work at a very young age...I think my sisters had to be close to 16 before they were allowed (by Mom) to babysit. I remember my two brothers working at "filling stations" after school some and on weekends and my oldest brother was already serving his country when I was born. I couldn't wait to get old enough to babysit and I got all of my experience helping to care for my nieces and nephews quite often. How cool is it that you babysat for that lovely lady who wrote the poetry...although, like Vee, I find some poetry to be a bit "deep" for this pea brain to understand...LOL! Love these great photos, especially the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You babysat for Luci Shaw! Wow! I've read of her friendship with Madeleine L'Engle, and have a book of her poetry. What a great way to begin your working career. I, too, began young, with helping a neighbour delivering paper flyers door-to-door, then babysitting, picking berries in the summer, and working in an office. Learning responsibility is important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How neat to have that connection. And very interesting that you had such challenging jobs as a young person. I agree that it helps to have responsibility and learn skills at an early age. I got married when I was young and learned things on my own...but that's not the best path. Mine turned out good but I give God credit for that! Love this post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always had chores and then jobs, and the same for my children. They came up with some creative ways to earn money, like my son baking spelt bread for gluten-free friends of mine, and my daughter teaching piano in our home. When they all moved out I realized I had to start doing all the household chores myself, haha! No one to delegate to.
    I've heard of this poet. Wonderful to still be writing and publishing poetry in her nineties. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Podso,
    I love the black & white photos!
    I, too, began working at the age of 15 for our local grocer.
    I agree that our Youth need to have experiences in the work force.
    Great post!
    Love that your friend still had the journal and the poem!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...