Friday, May 24, 2019

Could Mere Loving Be Life's Work?

I pondered the thought of loving as life's work while reading The Dean's Watch by Elizabeth Goudge.
The pages of my reading journal filled with quotes from the book that I want to remember.
Once again E. Goudge used her descriptive skills to take us deep into the story about 
a clockmaker who develops a friendship with the formidable Dean of the cathedral. 
She writes so well we can't help but fall in love with her characters. 
It's hard to pick a favorite character, but mine might be Miss Montague. And here's a quote about her:
"Could mere loving be life's work? Could it be a career like marriage or nursing the sick or going on stage? Could it be adventure? ... So she took a vow to love ... she was different from the majority because she kept the vow, 
kept it even after she discovered the cost of simplicity."
"Until now she only read her Bible as a pious exercise, but now she read it as 
an engineer reads a blueprint and a traveller a map ... 
but with a profound concentration because her life depended on it."
Once again we enjoyed time around the table discussing the book on a Monday morning (when we find most of us can meet.) We are doing our best to simplify our meetings so had only tea, cookies, grapes, and nuts. 
A good time was had by all at Lydia Grace's lovely and cheerful table.

17 comments:

  1. That is another of my favourite Goudge books. I can read it over and over and find something new each time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how large your reading group is and still meets in one of the member's home. I love the thought of "mere loving being life's work." To me that is basic to Christian principle. I must read her book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about Miss Montague! She has been my favorite for a while now. I wish I were like her. We can only keep trying and loving, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there anything more important than loving God with our entire soul and mind or loving others as ourselves? Miss Montague had it right, I think. What a beautiful table and with a nod to the book...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not heard of this book but now I want to read it. How wonderful that you have a reading group.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read 10 of her books since you first put me on to her. This one I missed some how. I see that I can order it through my library system so it will be the next book I read after the Miss Read book on my reading table.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is an intriguing quote, offering much to ponder. I think I would enjoy being a part of your book club!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Been needing to find another read - may need to check into that one, thanks D!

    Your book club sounds nice, and what a happy setting in which to discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your book club sounds so nice with such lovely gatherings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh...I think it's time for me to re-read this wonderful book. I found a used copy in a bookshop in England in 2014. I should crack it open and read it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...to be able to love like that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The table is lovely and I imagine the discussion wonderful. I appreciate your recommendation of books as I am still reading one of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How grand to get together at a lovely table of simple treats to discuss a joyful book! Sounds like such an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, could it ever! When we give love selflessly it does become a life's work. Your friend set such a lovely table for the discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Dotsie,

    Oh, I was so glad to see your comment and know that you had visited!! I miss our chats back and forth, and I know that I, for one, have been a terrible blogging friend these days; we've had so much going on here. I have to share with you that I'm currently reading "The Dean's Watch." Love it so far! I read your post here earlier and decided I was going to read that book. I've seen several bloggers talking about Elizabeth Goudge's books and have wanted to try one. Now that I'm reading the book, I can appreciate your friend's pretty table so much more. It really does look lovely!

    Thank you for your visit and kind comments on our bedroom refresh. We're enjoying it, even though I didn't finish it last weekend like I'd hoped (I'd forgotten it was Father's Day weekend, so lots to do). I hope all is well with you and your family and have a good week!

    Warm hugs,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  16. I saw the title of this post and had to visit. I've read that book a couple times; it's one of my favorites. Thank you for reminding me of that quote. It really is worth copying down. (I think of the watchmaker every time I re-set our grandfather clock.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE your table setting, so lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...