Tuesday, March 12, 2019

backward

When a friend of the Gardener called to ask him to read a book, and then could they 
get together to talk about it, I took note and wondered what could be so good.
Little by little I heard bits and pieces of the book, and then the guys
asked if we girls would read it and discuss it together. So when we were planning
our next book club, we concluded this would be the book to read. It's easy to read, 
and this is true from the back cover: "...was written to shake up our expectations 
and priorities for what it means to live 'the good life.'"
The author is a minister in Aberdeen, Scotland. The book is a sort of
exposition on the book of Ecclesiastes. It's not a heavy tome, and it is
filled with practical wisdom. It probably is one of the most significant books
I have read in a very long time. I highly recommend it.

Our book club is meeting often in the morning as it seems to be when more are available. 
This time we kept the food very simple--nuts, chocolate, strawberries and cheese. 
Since my house is small and our group is large, we arranged chairs with small 
snack tables around the edge of our dining room and it worked really well.  
I loved using my grandmother's pink depression glass, 
and another friend's mother's teapot, 
and another friend's mother's gorgeous linen tablecloth (all gifts to me!)
It was a sweet time as we shared parts of the book that spoke to us.
Our next book is Elizabeth Goudge's The Dean's Watch.
Some of us are following an IG reading of this book.

One of our members happened to recently host a Scottish young man 
who is a mentee of the author of the book. So we took a group picture 
holding our books for Rev. Gibson--to encourage him!

"If you knew what would happen to you tomorrow, how would you live today?"



17 comments:

  1. The Dean's Watch is such a favourite of mine. I wonder if you have also read The Little white Horse and also Henrietta's house? Very nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking I might read that book again, the Goudge. Wonderful suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an interesting read, Dotsie. I'll have to look for it. Your table is lovely with your grandmother's Depression glass! You know I love it as well. And the centerpiece is unique and lovely for the occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. intriguing...especially since it is impossible to live life backward... Great idea to encourage the author with a picture of you all holding his work. I recently purchased my favorite Goudge book...The Scent of Water and hope to pick it up and actually read it soon...now I have three of her books...not enough! Your snack table looks so fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for suggesting the book. I will look to see if our church library has a copy and if not I'll order a copy. Your home, refreshments and table setting with treasured pieces are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I need to find that book because if you recommend it, I know it will be good...in the sense that it will stir me up a bit.

    The table you set for your book club meeting is just lovely, Podso. I have already passed my paternal grandmother's pink depression glass on to our daughter so I viewed yours longingly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This whole post draws me in . . . from your beautifully and colorfully set table, to the food that is just right, to the glowing recommendation of a new book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for this tip about the book, must find it ...
    I am a big fan of depression glass, always love to see it!

    Have a good day & Dutch greetings, Carolien

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love seeing the way your books are arranged. I'm going to change mine up on my library table...see if I can copy you! Sounds like an interesting book and of course I love that quote. We are going on a hike this afternoon so I know I'll be doing what I love best today! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photos are so lovely, Dotsie, and I'm sure you had a wonderful time with your book club friends. I'm going to look for that book - it sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Podso,
    Gorgeous table linens, tea pots and pink depression glass!
    I don't belong to any book clubs, but I am intrigued
    and may make a purchase for a read on an upcoming vacation.
    Thank you for the recommendation.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've enjoyed all your book recommendations for Elizabeth Goudge and see I can get it through my library system. The Living Life Backwards book, however, is not. I will have to see if I can locate it on the Web.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty tables! I'll have to check that book out, sounds intriguing. I've never read The Dean's Watch, by Goudge, but I want to. I just need to find a copy of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the book recommendation. Your book gathering looked very nice. I so enjoyed reading The Dean's Watch, by Goudge. I'm following the postings on Instagram but not re-reading it at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Believe me, there's a lot I would do differently if I'd known then what I know now. And I love pink Depression glass. It's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds like a very thought provoking book and I'm sure your discussion was interesting and enjoyable with all that good food. I like a quote I read by Kierkegaard that stated: "Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." We can't know what the future holds for us but we can try our best to live a good and decent life.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Dotsie,

    You and I have the same white tray (Ikea?). Yours looks perfect on that pretty table! I just love, love the old-fashioned look of the tablecloth (gorgeous) the teapots, and your grandmother's pink depression glass. This is a table after my own heart. :) <3

    I'm glad you shared this book with us; I'm going to write this down and see if I can get from the library. It sounds very relevant for us in this day and time.

    Thank you for your recent visit, and I hope you have a wonderful week!!

    Warm hugs,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...