Tuesday, February 26, 2019

and the month whirled by

I keep thinking we'll settle into some sort of retirement routine. So far, almost two months into it, nothing is routine.  My plan is to spend some "blog time" and then something more comes along.

Here's some highlights:

1. I'm enjoying cooking more than ever, and I've concluded it's because I'm less stressed by the work I was doing, and have more time. So we've had lots of guests at our table, including two students studying at a nearby seminary staying a week with us. I've made a lot of apple pies (I can easily get in a rut). I decided one day to actually measure what three cups of apples looks like inside the crust and discovered I've been doing it right by guessing all these many years.
2. I've been playing with table settings. A friend gave me the idea of setting the table even if guests aren't coming, to experiment and enjoy various settings. It's been fun and I guess it's basically playing with big girl toys.  And then I decided to use the setting and had folks over for dinner. I'm going to do this again. It's like therapy!
 
3. Believe it or not, 22 of us friends had an old fashioned hymn sing and we had so much fun. Most of us had grown up singing hymns so knew many of them by heart. I had to refresh my rusty piano skills. And we all want to do it again.
4. The fun of valentine's week was helping the grands to make valentines. 
And these flowers lasted over two weeks!
5. Bread night with our mentor group was a big hit. We talked about making a house a home, and then went over to the church kitchen to learn the art of bread making (the most fun was kneading). The girls went home with a loaf of bread that needed to rise in the fridge over night. The next morning the photo texts flew in of the freshly baked bread their families were enjoying!
 6. Our church had "Cooking for a Cause" week where women gathered in homes to make four meals (the organizers had purchased and portioned out ingredients) to be placed in the freezer. They will be used when a family or sick person needs a meal. It was an interesting and fun time, working with older women who all have different ways of doing things! I did not know most of them, so it was nice to get to know some new women.
7. I've been exploring my grandfather's boxes of old movies that my uncle passed on to me and deciding what to do with all of them. Some of them are cartoons he bought for his children, there are newsreels from the 1940s, as well as old family movies. One is my mother's graduation from college.
These are a bit of a burden to me but I'm trying to work through it all sensibly, and not panic! 

8. Spring is definitely here a little early, brought to us by two weeks of rain and a few warm days. 
I've had to mow our grass twice now. Word has it winter is returning tomorrow. 
9. No matter how warm a day, evenings are always chilly and it's a great time to crochet.
The grands have requested more "blankies" even though they already have them. 
I think they wanted new colors. Crocheting in the evening helps to keep me awake!
  



14 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea of the church to have some meals ready for emergencies. We were given a huge jug of soup this week as my husband isnt well enough to attend the Church lunch. That was appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The month did speed by! I played the piano for our church for many years. I would definitely by 'out of practice' now though. I usually play Christmas carols but I didn't even do that this year. Love the bread making and your beautiful table setting. Thanks for visiting me and your encouraging words. I'm so happy to be up and blogging again! WHEW! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cozy post filled with charm from baking to table laying to crochet projects. Oh and the idea of a good old-fashioned hymn sing at home sounds wonderful beyond words. Now the idea of winter returning after mowing the lawn twice is a new thought for me. That never happens here. ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you are enjoying retirement; that hymn sing sounds fun, and playing with your table settings and having people over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow-You have been busy in retirement. I don't know about you but I look back and wonder how I ever found time to work. lol Now, dumb as I am, I gave a 2 year commitment to work again. duh....
    it is wonderful that you are so connected to your church and the groups of friends that you have-makes for a good life. Have a wonderful night-xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this post, Dotsie. Full of wonderful activities that have filled your retirement with joy. I love the idea of a hymn sing. Your pretty blue and white table setting is so inviting. I hope you will show us your finished crocheted blanket. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your apple pie and table both look lovely! Looks like you have used the days of this month well. Gathering with friends, working together to encourage and help others and moments of relaxing... all worthwhile activities. I so enjoy stopping by to visit with you and scroll through your past posts. It has brightened my morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those cooking/baking ideas for groups! Fabulous! It's not easy to get into a retirement rhythm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post if full of delights . . . from the joy of cooking to lovely table settings to hospitality to your mentoring group and more!! Even if you haven't found "rhythm" yet, you are finding many ways to serve and be productive! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are certainly staying busy in your first months of retirement, but with lovely, cozy, homey things. Baking bread with the mentees is such a great idea, as is preparing freezer meals for future use. Taking time to play is good, too, and your table setting was probably very much appreciated by those you invited. I'm taking lessons from my retired blogging friends - just a year and a few months to go for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Podso,
    Love how your month whirled by!
    Busy as a bee.
    A few years ago, "Mr. Ed" took our reels and had them transferred onto to DVD's.
    I love popping in the DVD on special birthdays and our Anniversary (Wedding ).
    Just a thought.
    Love that you are mentoring the younger women in your Parrish.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness, you are doing all the fun things!!

    Your idea of setting a table, even before planning the rest of the dinner party, is brilliant. If I would sequence events that way, first clean up, then pretty up, the last steps of adding food and guests would be the easiest part, to complete the event.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Dotsie,

    I thoroughly enjoyed this post!! You HAVE been busy! Have you and the Gardener both retired now? Setting a pretty table is a fun thing to do, isn't it? I enjoy looking at mine; I still have the spring tablescape in my dining room. :)

    It's so nice that you're entertaining in your home now; I think Hal and I need to do more of that. It makes life seem fuller somehow. I like the idea of a "cooking for a cause" week -- such a thoughtful way to help those going through a difficult time. I've always liked to read about your mentoring group; my mom's friend has just started something like that at a Baptist church nearby. I like to think these girls will always remember you all and what you've taught them.

    Have a lovely week, Dotsie!!

    Hugs,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...