Sunday, February 03, 2019

linen or not

We have used cloth napkins most of our married life.  Not the kind you have to iron, mind you. 
Once or twice a week they get thrown in the wash. 
We each have our own napkin rings that let us know which napkin is ours. 
I use cloth for company too--even if they need to be ironed, I don't mind. 
Ironing napkins is rather relaxing, compared to some ironing.

The other day I used some old, thin linen napkins of my mother's. They were at least 
76 years old. I can remember my mom washing them, then sprinkling them with water 
and wrapping them up in plastic. She kept them like that in the frig until she had 
the time to iron them (or one of her girls were tasked with the job.)
You can see how thin they look here. As I was contemplating how to get these napkins crisp and lovely again, I heard an idea. Very simply: clean your countertop (I think it would have to be some granite-type surface, but not sure). Get the napkin wet and stretch it out well on the countertop.
In the morning fold it, using your fingernail to press a crisp crease on the folds.
It seemed like magic to me. I was amazed at how nice they looked.
This is probably some old-school method, but new to 
me and certainly was easier than ironing.
In my opinion, cloth napkins add a touch of elegance even to the simplest 
table setting. And nice paper napkins are costly. 
I'm looking forward to using these again and hope they will last a bit longer! 



12 comments:

  1. That's amazing you have such old linens, Dotsie! I love that. And your trick is a good one. I remember my Mama doing a similar thing with ribbons around a glass. They came out looking like they had been ironed. You are saving our world a lot of paper by using cloth. I don't do this, but my daughter does. Your table looks beautiful with the blue and white. Have a happy week. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great trick for "not" ironing a linen napkin. Doing a dozen or so would require a lot of counter space! We've used cloth napkins, some cotton, some linen, for years, too. I like the feel and look of them, and they are not wasteful.
    Your blue and white table setting is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We use cloth napkins, too, with our own napkin ring for the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool trick! I also love the look of cloth napkins and although I rarely use them, I really would like to get into the habit of it. I also have some old ones that my MIL gave to me. They certainly add a beautiful touch to any table setting and there are so many great ideas for some pretty awesome folding techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to use cloth napkins for company and special meals, although I rarely use them for everyday, mainly because of the ironing. I like this little shortcut you've shared, but it wouldn't work on my butcher block countertops. I love the table setting you've shown with all of the blue. The blue napkins are quite pretty! I like the detailing on them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to use cloth napkins daily. Don't know why we stopped. I do love them. You're tip is amazing! Do you think it'd work with fabric other than linen? So nice that you have these that you grew up using.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also use cloth napkins every day, but they are tossed into the laundry after each meal. That tip about napkins is just the sort that I like to find. I am using an old household tip daily now concerning "cleaning the air." As a nurse, you'd probably laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That plate with the sledders is just gorgeous! I've never seen that pattern! And I love old linen napkins and have a few of them that I got at the thrift store. I love vintage kitchen towels too...and have a few of those. No wonder I don't go to the thrift store much any more. I have too much stuff! lol Enjoy your afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your tablesetting is just beautiful. I love blue and white. Our everyday dishes are Blue Willowware. When I look at the plate in that setting I think "Holland". I recently purchased a few plates from an Etsy shop and one of them was from Holland.

    Loved your tip about the linen napkins. I have some tablecloths that belonged to one of my grandmothers and I am wondering if that tip would work with them. They are time consuming when it comes to ironing. :)

    We are currently using paper napkins. They are good quality but as you said, they are costly. Thank you for this post...it inspires me to go back to cloth napkins!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What interesting tricks for linen. Love the setting at the top of your post! I enjoy using cloth napkins for all my table settings. I need to find a couple for hubby and me to use during the week with our favorite napkin rings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Podso,
    Love using cloth napkins. . .but they are mostly for decor here. . .
    "Mr.Ed" dislikes them and prefers paper.
    What a neat "tip" for your linen napkins!
    I do enjoy ironing, but might give this a try!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. That makes me want to start using my linen napkins for everyday.
    Thanks for the inspiration , why save them for company


    Happy Valentine's Week also

    Janice

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...