Wednesday, September 14, 2016

pinch

I'm not in love with crickets. When we moved into this house there were a few that liked to 
come out in the evening to visit. They remind me too much of tiny frogs 
with their jumping here and there and the "startle factor."
I digress for a moment. We may live a pretty bland life because 
I have a lot of "pinch myself"--"I can't believe I'm here" moments. 
Like … standing in the Blue Mosque in Istanbul or sitting along the Mediterranean … 
Walking in a Kenyan tea farm ...Wishing for sunglasses while standing 
on top of the Eiffel Tower at 10 pm on a July evening … 
Walking through Anne Boleyn's house where Henry VIII used to come 
courting …  They all sound a bit exotic when lumped together.

But none more "pinchable" than this:

A favorite memory shines out from our years of homeschooling, 
now 25 years ago. I really loved reading chapter books to our boys, 
and a favorite is "A Cricket in Times Square." It seemed the entire time 
we read it, we had a tiny houseguest in the living room. 
He'd play his violin energetically, especially in the evening. 
He may have been named Chester, and we thought it was pretty cool how 
he timed his stay with our reading of the book.

Back to the present day. I've started volunteering at Little One's
 2nd grade class and am thoroughly enjoying it. 
The teacher is reading them "A Cricket in Times Square."
When the light goes off in the classroom, the teacher needs 
the students' attention immediately.
The first day I was there the lights flashed off.
"Come class quickly, it seems a cricket has come to visit our class."
The kids gathered around. Maybe it was Chester's grandchild.
A little history repeating itself.
For me, the sweetest "pinch myself" moment. 

15 comments:

  1. We read The Cricket in Times Square too, but I love your entire story, including the little violinist. What a sweet memory that dredged up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, Dotsie this is just beautiful. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading it, too. I must dig one out and reread it! Very sweet memories and present experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Experiences like these are the ones to treasure closely in your heart. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww...that pinch me moment charmed me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Read aloud times are the best!! What fun to be able to experience it again...cricket included! Love this story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how sweet, Dot. I did the startle factor with many things; crickets and grasshoppers for the longest time. Now just about every insect sort of creeps me out.

    I've never heard of the book. I'm just amazed by your experience with your kids. And now with your volunteer work. Might you have a little cricket in your pocket waiting for these sort of days? ;-D

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet memory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed your 'pinch' back in time. I've not heard of that book but it sounds delightful and so nice to know it is still being enjoyed by today's generation of students.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the story and especially your "pinch me" moments. As to crickets…they are better in storybooks than in real life, I think. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Podso,
    Oh, how I enjoyed this journey through your "pinch m" trials, dear friend!
    "Mr. Ed" states that a cricket in the house is a sign of 'good luck'!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed this! For some reason I have always loved the sound of crickets happily chirping. I think because it reminds me of summer nights as a girl growing up and sleeping with the windows open and hearing their sound. All seemed right with the world. Now seeing one. That's a different story, lol. Hope you have a nice weekend,

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think I have read that one, and I am not really a big fan of crickets or grasshoppers, but that does remind me of a class favorite when I taught first grade. You probably know the one- The Very Quiet Cricket... Anyway..that took me back! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this story, Dotsie. Reading books to our son, Will, was such a big and special part of our years of raising him. He now gives us books for our birthdays, Mother's Day, Father's Day, etc. :)

    These are pretty pictures you've shared with us -- you've really visited some amazing places. It's fun to see the world, isn't it?

    Hugs,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...