Thursday, December 10, 2015

not white at all



I just noticed this is my 1502nd post. I am amazed. I can't imagine counting to 1500, let alone writing that much. It will soon be 10 years since I nervously pressed "publish" on my first post. For a time there was a blogger who had a meme for bloggers to republish favorite posts. So I admit it isn't a pure 1502 posts ---there are a few repeats among them. And now I'm repeating a favorite again for readers who didn't "read me" back then.

I am reminded often at this season that people hurt during the holidays. Not every family has a rosy time; people are lonely; families have crises.

A young woman in our mentor group delivered her long awaited baby boy two nights ago. They knew he was missing most of his brain and would not live long outside the womb but they have celebrated each hour and day that he has lived and are grateful for the time with him until God calls him home. Can you imagine her mix of joy and sorrow at a time when everything "seems" bright and merry?

Some of you may have read this before: the story of our hardest, but our sweetest Christmas.

Even though it was years ago, I remember the time as clearly as if it were taking place today. We were a young family, just settled down to life in West Africa, when our world came crashing down around us. The Gardener got very, very sick and turned yellow.

Due to a recent military coup, borders were closed and grocery store shelves were empty. The Gardener couldn’t even get a blood test to tell for sure what was wrong. We lived near the university and knew the dean of the medical school, so he made house calls to check on him though there was nothing he could do.

Those were dark days for us as Christmas approached. We tried to make the best of it with our two small boys, while we watched Papa get thinner and thinner. The bile under his skin caused severe itching and relief only came with a scalding bath followed by a cold shower and then a sit under the ceiling fan––a routine not always possible with frequent power outages and lack of water. We were about out of food.

God gave me words of comfort and peace as I'd sit alone in the evenings, often with only light from an oil lamp. He reminded me of Isaiah 40 again and again. "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak…They will soar on wings like eagles…"

God’s grace amazed us. A knock sounded at the door one evening just before Christmas. Linda, a Peace Corps friend, greeted us with a special piece of meat wrapped in shiny tinfoil and a festive bow. Mmm, it was delicious. An adventuresome friend showed up with a cooler with meat and sack of potatoes bought in a neighboring country (he’d gotten across the border in a desolate area). What a treat. And the Gardener needed protein.

Not long after that, a friend traveling through our city walked into our house with a gunnysack over his shoulder. He dumped the contents out on our kitchen counter. My eyes opened wide when I realized they had shared with us from their “special times” stockpile. What stood out the most was a can of powdered lime drink. Now Papa could have at least a sort of fruit juice. The tiny ants marching around the glass at his bedside didn’t irritate me as they usually did––I was so thrilled to offer him such a treat.

When a truck pulled up to our door I was certain it was a mistake, especially since there were two small barrels for us on it. It didn’t make sense until we learned they had been flown in from London from friends who used to live near us. Having heard of our situation, knowing what the closed borders would mean for our food supply, they knew exactly what to send us. Imbedded in my memory is the thrill of unwrapping foods fresh off English grocery shelves––beautiful, clean packages of flour, sugar, and powdered milk with special holiday treats tucked in. We were overwhelmed at God’s tender care for us.

Before long our doctor friend told us we needed to go home to get better care. It was unsettling to abruptly leave a home and work we loved. But we had learned the valuable principle that God does not make mistakes and knew that He cares deeply for us; and so we trusted Him. We didn’t leave before celebrating Christmas the best we could. We made clothespin ornaments representing each family member to put on our little tree. They are falling apart now, but we still hang them on our tree every year. And when we do, we remember all that God taught us the year our Christmas was yellow.

19 comments:

  1. Reading this post brought tears to me eyes, Dotsie. I can't imagine how I would handle giving birth to a long-awaited baby, knowing he would not live long at all. Our son has meant so much to us over the years; we have truly been blessed. I do remember this post of yours about Christmas in Africa. It's always amazing to watch God work through other people when we need him/them most. What wonderful friends you had!!

    We're having a hard time here, too; I've been very worried about my parents. Christmas is a joyous time, but it is often bittersweet, too. Congratulations on ten years of blogging!! I'm glad we've gotten acquainted through our blogs. :) Take care and have a good week.

    Hugs,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes we just don't know the special kind of folks we have been blessed to meet along our journey. I consider you one of those. Amazing story. Miraculous Christmas. So glad that you shared this story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your personal experience, Dotsie. What a beautiful reminder of God's faithfulness. I'm so glad for all those who answered God's request on your behalf. Your friends listened to the needs and responded.
    Christmas brings sadness to many. Let my eyes see the needs of those I see. Praying for your friend, Dotsie. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had not heard this moving story from your years in mission work. How frightening but how lovely. What a special memory.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your story, Dotsie. Christmas can be a difficult time for so many people. I think of your young mentor friend and her little one. There is much heartache everywhere, and yet....there is hope in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This made me cry. So sweet, and true how the Father is concerned even about Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful story of God's providence for you and your family. Thank you for sharing this with us. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad that you reposted this lovely story.

    Memories of our Peace Corps years came flooding back. Whenever my mother sent a package, she tucked in cake mixes, cocoa, little treats, etc. But, I would never use those items, I would hoard them until I knew we were having company or we went to visit other volunteers. Then, we would go nuts baking together and all enjoying our feast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing this story Dotsie. How wonderful to hear of God's wonderful provision in the midst of such a great trial.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always wonderful to look back to the many ways in which our God is faithful to those who put their trust in Him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful story. I just heard the baby went home to Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful story. I just heard the baby went home to Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dotsie, what a story...so touching and faith-strengthening. Oh yes, it is so good to know that He never makes a mistake! I love that you still hang the clothespin people that you made that year..."stones" of remembrance.

    I pray for the precious family who has lost their little one in this life. May their hearts be turned towards eternity as they grieve his loss.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, what an amazing miracle. One right after another!! Those are the precious beautiful memories of God's faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This placed a lump in my throat, for God does bless even when we least expect it. What a very beautiful story of His grace, love and mercy....sweet blessings continue to pour forth even now as you share from all of those many years gone by~

    ReplyDelete
  16. This placed a lump in my throat, for God does bless even when we least expect it. What a very beautiful story of His grace, love and mercy....sweet blessings continue to pour forth even now as you share from all of those many years gone by~

    ReplyDelete
  17. I knew you had been through some lean times living abroad but had no idea your hubby had been very ill. God does provide in mysterious ways when we need it most, spiritually and with the necessities of life. I can only imagine how precious the clothes pins were and the memories they carried with them.
    Congratulations on the sharing of over 1500 posts Dotsie and I hope you will continue for many more.
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dotsie, Thanks for sharing. It's amazing when people know our need and fill that need even from very far away. I have had known people who spent time in Africa and Jamaica and the support they received from Canada was so appreciated. So glad your husband is still here. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  19. *Sigh*

    Just wow, Dot. This is an amazing story and I am SO glad you posted it again. I missed it the first time. TEN YEARS you've been blogging? Wow that is awesome. Congratulations - and thank you for your story. I am so happy your Gardener recovered. Hugs. ♥

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...