Saturday, October 10, 2015

green grass, blue water and apple pie

Littlest One knows no floods will reach her house.

We are babysitting. We love any chance to be with our three grands: 2,4 and 7. Their mom put a pie-shaped chicken pot pie in the oven and I set the table for a family meal even though an island meal would be so much easier.

The pie is out of the oven and in the center of the table. The two younger lean in, eager for their meal, but terribly disappointed when they realize they are not having apple pie for supper.

After the blessing, I suggest a dinner conversation. I start exclaiming about how green the grass is. Grandpa, aka the Gardener, talks about how all the rain we've had helps the grass. Which leads to the subject of the floods not far from us (the kids had just helped their mom that day with some relief aid.) "Where do the floods go and how to they move?" Four-year-old grandson is thinking deeply and on to all kinds of questions. When the Gardener starts talking about evaporation and other big words, I suggest we find easier ones. Meanwhile the talk seems to ring a bell in our seven-year-old B's mind. "May I share the science experiment we did today? All I need is a bowl, a cup, and a piece of paper." Of course!

I don't pay any attention as she preps the experiment. I'm busy finding something else at least a bit nourishing for the chicken pot pie protesters to eat. Suddenly I realize B's coming towards the table carrying an overflowing bowl of dark blue water. Overflowing on to the hardwood floors. I'm talking dark blue--maybe 10 drops of food coloring or more.

I clean up the floors, put the whole deal on a tray and carry it to the table for her. The experiment appears to be proceeding with a flourish, as she explains how water passes through various things.

I come back to the table with some toast for the little ones when I realize the upside down glass on a piece of paper is failing as an experiment. There is blue water everywhere again, this time on the table. I run for paper towels and as I mop it up again, with a sick feeling, I realize it has reached the seam in the table where extra leaves go.

Drip, splat, drip onto the off-white rug under the table … a dark blue blotch forms, perfectly centered in the middle. But thankfully it's so centered it's not visible unless you happen to be on the floor looking under the table.

Our grands' parents were easy when they got home, and rather liked the story that went with blotch. I'm sure DIL will try to get the stain out. Meanwhile, in a small way, it reminds me of a house my sister, at age four, etched with a pin onto our mom's mahogany dining room table. It's still there to this day, now in my sister's house, and has a story to go with it.

19 comments:

  1. These kinds of stories become family lore!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. My you had quite an adventure!!! And they have memories and tales to tell, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You handlesdall the snags perfectly! I can't help but think if a bit of that chicken and gravy were on the toast...!!!

    I pray for patience and easy forgiveness when my granddaughter (and hopefully more grandkids will join us) comes for visits as she grows. Sometimes we forget how our little ones used to get their hands in and on everything! I never want to get 'set in my ways". I think you saw the brighter side of this day. Bravo!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems as though you have the right attitude! Oh, my word, don't they just need to be watched like hawks? Well, chalk that one up as memorable, and an interesting science project, too!

    Hugs! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd say you all had a perfect evening together and a lovely memory (somewhat concrete)!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that there was a mess, but as a teacher, I love that the 7 year old liked the science experiment enough that he wanted to share it with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Podso,
    Goodness!!!
    Thank you for remaining "calm" through the "storm"!!!
    Hope the stain is easily removed or, at least, begins to fade.
    Oh, the lessons Grandparents must endure!!!
    Blessings abound!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uh oh. Well, experiments happen and sometimes go wrong. Hopefully the blue spot can be removed. I remember finding a very small square etched in the side of our kitchen cupboard. I think is was our son's work and the cupboards are now replaced. I have an old frame that has been converted to a mirror with the name "Minnie" etched into the gold inside moulding. I don't know who Minnie was but she left her mark permanently. I rather like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, I'm sure you didn't want that to happen on your watch. I hope your DIL can get the stain out. If not it's a story for the ages. Your grand does sound like a budding scientist. Now that's a good thing. You sound like a very patient grandmother, Dotsie. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how wonderful this was at their house! LOL! I have some stories like that. I love the story of the little house carved into the dining room table. Somehow time seems to help these events and turns them from negatives to positives, depending on our outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  11. On the bright side... It's lovely that the grands were so engaged in the conversation about "real" things. And so nice that your granddaughter was enthusiastically sharing her knowledge. I smiled at the children's assumption that there was going to be apple pie for dinner. (So cute!) It sounds like a lively and wonderful time there at the dinner table!

    It is unfortunate about the blue splotch on the white rug. But you're right. These stories live on and become much more than the original incident. We still laugh at some of our children's "autographs" on walls, furniture, etc. And my own mom still tells the story of my using a barrette to etch about a hundred balloons onto my bedroom wall while I was supposed to be napping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can imagine the disappointment of the chicken pot pie not being apple. :-) The stories created to pass down don't always have a happy beginning but generally a satisfactory ending. Just after our hardwood floor was put in the kitchen our then 4 year old grandson wanted to show off his break dancing and was spinning around. I realized after the show the grommets in his blue jeans made one heck of a pattern in the new floor. Character - it added character I had to convince myself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh boy. Lots of things happen with the grandchildren, don't they? You handled it all with grace! Stories like these often start out as unhappy occurrences but soon become part of the family lore. The little house carved into the table made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my. That's all I've got. Oh my. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my ...since I care for my granddaughter in my house M-F we've had a few mishaps ourselves, but happily I've been able to clean most of them up rather well. They do make good stories, Dotsie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Dotsie, I'm glad there weren't any big upsets over the blue stains. It sounds like you had a very nice evening overall. So funny the grands thought they were having apple pie for dinner. ;) Your littlest one in the picture is absolutely adorable -- just makes me want to squeeze her. :-D Thanks for sharing the story and picture, and I hope you have a great week!!

    Blessings,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  17. Magic marker on the mahogany table? My very dear friend lost his son when he was 14. When I went to visit him, he had written his name on the fireplace stone in black marker...PAUL...it was the writing of a 5 year old just learning to write his name. I would imagine that mistake is something he will never grow tired of seeing and cherish always. That happened nearly 20 years ago and I still remember seeing his little name on that rock. Bitter sweet lesson in life and what matters.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a story! I love the fact that you sit at the table together and actually converse with the grands. I see many young people who don't talk to their babies or their children. Instead, they're texting. How can the good things of life and love of God be transferred to the next generation without spending that time. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are WAY ahead of me, I kept the grandchildren two weekends ago and OH MY, I was just exhausted and not blogging or doing anything for a few days! They are precious though and the sweetest memories.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...