Monday, April 13, 2015

what's in a friendship



It had been a mere 45 years since we had last seen each other on her graduation day. But when Sara and I walked across the restaurant into each other's hug, the years slipped away like a tide fading at ocean's edge. Our husbands, at a distance, came forward to shake hands and meet each other. The Gardener and Sara had been college classmates, but we had not known her husband. Of course we liked him.

Sara and I knew each other best at nursing school. She was my "big sis" there and welcomed me as a newbie and showed me the ropes of how to survive in a competitive and challenging environment. I was always grateful.

We connected as good friends do, with common interests and passions. And we just liked each other. Christmas cards and occasional letters kept us connected over the years.

So how would it be, this meeting again after all these years? Two gray-haired, retired nurses, having lived full lives--marriage, career, children, now grandmothers--would we still connect and know each other?

Can you guess? We didn't miss a beat. We had a lot of catching up to do (Fb has helped), but we quickly were able to get beyond the news of children and grandchildren. We talked more deeply about life because we trust each other and care about the same things. And we are still basically the same girls as we were back then.

So I concluded that once a friend, always a friend. Whatever drew us together as friends in the past is still with us today. Haven't you met an old roommate or high school friend--or even a blog friend--and found it easy to pick up just where you left off?

17 comments:

  1. What a sweet post, Dotsie! Yes I have reconnected with a great friend from years ago. Like you, we didn't miss a beat! Like hearts are forever hearts! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old friends are always fun to catch up with sometime the years fall away and the relationship is the same sometimes things are changed too much and you have become strangers.
    Merle.............

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's true friendship...it lasts over the years. How nice to be able to get together and visit. Enjoy your week! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome! Yes, I have reconnected with old friends from HS through FB...remember the Tales of Two Debbie's I posted? I also recently posted this borrowed quote...“Good friends are like stars.... you don't always see them, but you know they are always there” :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A special blessing... I have had this experience with blogging friends and I have experienced it with cousins, but I rarely have had it happen with friends with whom I have lost touch. Oh wait, I just haven't met them again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a joy to meet a friend from long ago and realize that you are still the same. Yes, I have had that happen and it is a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful for you both to meet up Podso..
    I do believe that true friends can pick up where they left off.
    I met up with a few friends in S.A 5 years ago after so many years ..and it was like yesterday that we had been together.
    lovely post.
    Happy week
    val x

    ReplyDelete
  8. A true friend is never separate from us except, sometimes, by distance.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't had the opportunity that you just experienced but imagine it must be wonderful to pick up where you left off. As you say, FB can at least keep people in touch but it's not the same as being face to face.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a few friends like that, we just pick right back up where we left off. I'm thankful for those friendships!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful! Yes, it's so nice to have good friends like this that we can just pick up like we've never been apart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fun to meet up with a longtime friend. Yes, I've had a similar experience. It's wonderful when the years fall away.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I find the years melt away and it's an amazing thing to realize that an old friend is "just the same".
    Glad to hear that you had such a nice reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Since I turned 50 it seems to be happening more and more these days. I also believe it is right season for these meetings. We do the same things, hug and start right in. God is so faithful. My next post was going to be on this same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful account of a long friendship. Such a joy to read this post. I do know just what you mean about picking up right where you left off. I have a few friendships like that too. They're such a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Podso,
    Indeed!!!
    Today, I had a "Day Date" with my dear friend,
    whom has been vacationing in Florida and just returned to her home here on the Prairie!!!
    Cupcakes and coffee at a "new" local establishment!!!
    While she was away, she became ill, was hospitalized and her children
    were considering her staying permanently in Florida.
    I'm glad she was able to return home.
    She, too, is my mentor.
    It is my hope that as she continues to recover,
    she and her children will be at peace with her decision!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yes!!! I love that about true blue friendships, they are just wonderful and picking up after years is a blessing! Love reading your story, it's beautiful, Podso!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...