Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Potato Rolls


Potato rolls are a big hit in this house. It's been a few years since I made them, but I really wanted to get into some yeast and kneading last week, so pulled out the crinkled recipe card. My dad especially loved it when I made them--when things switched, and they started coming to my house for holidays rather than our going to their house. I miss my dad and this year as we cleaned up the kitchen we remembered how he always helped with the dishes. So this year I made them in his memory. I realize that this recipe reads a bit like my driving directions! "Turn by the purple house with the large bush at the top of the hill."






Potato Rolls ---  makes 5 doz. rolls    350 degrees/ 20 minutes

3 C milk (scalded) (I heat in microwave)
1 C mashed potatoes
1 C sugar

Put together and mix, add 2 C flour and let stand

I usually put my 1 pckg yeast in 1/4 cup tepid water with a tsp sugar and let it "start" before adding it to above mix. One just has to be careful that the scalded milk mix is not too hot--if it is it could kill the yeast. If it's more like tepid, the yeast should do fine in there, working off that one cup of sugar!

Then add:

1 Tb salt
2 eggs
1/2 C melted shortening
Enough flour to form stiff dough--about 4-5 cups

Knead well and let rise.  Form rolls and let rise two more hours. Bake and enjoy the delicious scent. Of course they are best fresh from the oven, otherwise I'd freeze them for later use. I also usually grease the tops of them with a smidge of butter when they come out of the oven. This recipe could also make a loaf of bread and rolls. 

16 comments:

  1. Dotsie, your rolls are so beautiful and just as delicious as they are beautiful, I'm sure!

    I love that you are carrying on your family's traditions... love that you relive sweet memories of older generations and make new ones for the next generations... I think that's the glue that holds us together of tradition. Big {{hugs}} I know you missed your sweet Dad. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making these is a nice way to honor your father...and they look so good! I haven't baked with yeast in awhile but I'd like to try these. Thanks for the recipe!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Tanna that tradition is the glue that holds the family together. That's especially true at Thanksgiving where each dish can so vividly bring delicious memories. Your rolls look so tempting. I'll bet they make the perfect turkey sandwich!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look yummy Dotsie. My father loved tea biscuits and they were part of our meals or used for dessert with jam. After my mother went in a nursing home, I made sure he had some at the house. I hadn't thought about this until reading about your dad and the potato rolls - and my dad would help with the dishes too.
    Cheers to fond memories of our fathers.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you did your potato roll recipe! I'm linking over to you because I'm practicing yours next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh,Podso, these look so yummy! Of all the breads and dinner rolls I have made, I never tried a potato one. Looking forward to making your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy...nothing like the smell of bread baking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so many delicious memories!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I am visiting from Vee's blog, and I do have a weakness for potato rolls. I have never tried baking my own. This recipe sounds wonderful. I would like to have these in the freezer throughout the winter. Happy holidays to you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, they look so good and I'm sure I could devour many of them in one sitting! As I told Vee, I have been trying to avoid bread these days as my constant battle wirh weight continues. I'm copyig your recipe non the less so I can try it when I have company so I won't eat them all myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These potato rolls look so delicious. I should try making them even though I'm not a bread and roll baker. I do eat them if they're homemade and fresh though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What's better than mashed potatoes that have been made into rolls?!

    Oh, I'm going to add this to my to try file!!! Mr OP and the gang would LOVE them!

    Enjoy the blessings and sweet memories.

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  13. I clicked this link from Vee's blog,and OH MY! These look delicious,and the sentimental "value" of these to honor your dad makes them even better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look so good. I'm pinning this to save it for later. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my...can it be time for a midnight snack? These look soooo yummy! I believe I will follow Lorrie's lead and pin this recipe...

    (Loved the mosaic in your last post. A collection of memory-making moments.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Podso,
    Oh, how I love fresh homemade bread! But, alas...it is the one thing I never mastered. After several attempted trials and failure, I gave in to "quick breads"!!! MoMa said,"You kill the yeast"! Whatever that means???My signature "quick bread" is Cranberry Orange Bread...which I bake for family and friends at Christmas! These potato rolls sure look YuMMy!!! So~o~o glad you made them in remembrance of your Dad!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...