Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A moment in time

Do you ever have moments––just a brief second or two––where you get a glimpse of something that brings forth a memory or emotion ... or a sense of calm?

We got lost––my fault––I was tired and missed the turn. We were driving out in the country, and a storm quickly came up but soon turned to a gentle rain. We had to turn around so I found a side road. At the corner was a house with a simple front porch and a porch swing. Two men were sitting on the swing, watching the rain and talking.

It was a moment. I was transported first to the swing and the sound of rain on the roof and swishing water around the porch floor. I could smell the humidity, the mildew, the scent of fresh rain. I felt the cool breeze that stirs with the rain. I felt a peace and a rest and a slowing down. No particular moment from my past came to my mind, but a familiar sense of sitting out rain storms on porches, near open windows, in a schoolyard under a tree, or splashing through puddles protected by an all too small umbrella ...

As I turned around and continued to drive, I savored my reflections and the image of those men sitting out the rain. I felt refreshed just as the rain had nourished a parched earth. I think I'll remember this for a long time. I love a rain storm after all. I'm guessing you understand what I'm fumbling to express.

20 comments:

  1. Yes, I do. Yes, I do. Sights will occasionally bring those "moments" for me, but it is most often smells... like rain... or crisp, fall mornings... blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Podso,
    Rain with it's freshness and its cleansing reaches our senses with tranquility. Retirement does the same. The combination . . .priceless!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do get what you're saying. Your post took me back to Roanoke and my childhood--sitting on our big front porch reading or playing games while rain made the leaves dance on the big maple trees in the front yard. Sweet memories. Thank you!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading about your trip back - remembering the sights, smells and sounds of your past. Being in the wind and smelling the salt air always reminds me of my childhood and growing up just steps from the ocean. Hope that you have many more moments like what you experienced.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I do! I often get that same feeling especially during a spring rain when I am transported back to streets in my neighbourhood growing up. I can feel it, hear it and smell it. It's strange but it's very comforting too. I know the feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love moments like that. I usually think they are hard to describe but you did it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I always love to have a big porch, and a porch swing. There is something about this image that I really like. That's a beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do though I sensed no fumbling...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:52 AM

    No fumbling here, Dotsie. I understand completely and love this so much.
    Have a wonderful day!
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes. And I can picture my Grandmother, who lived with us, sitting on that swing and enjoying the gentle rain. She also loved looking at clouds on a sunny day and turning them into mythical animals. Life seemed so simple then.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some memories are, I think, in our DNA - so no fumbling here - I got it. Thank you for sharing a moment that was as refreshing as it was peaceful. I haven' been around much lately, as I'm in the east visiting our grandchildren, but it was lovely to drop in on you or a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I do. And your writing transported me back to the smell of rain and freshness all around.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Podso, I know exactly what you are talking about...I have felt that feeling so many times and love it each time when I do. It's what I love to go back to. Simple and real.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Dotsie
    Indeed, flashbacks brought on by something we see or smell; happens to me too. The strange thing is having deja vu when arriving somewhere and it has occurred several times when I know I've not ever been to the place before.
    I'm glad your flashback brought you a feeling of peace, the nicest kind to have!
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, the smell of rain on a warm pavement always brings back memories of childhood to me. The photo in your post also reminds me of my maternal grandmother's house in Pennsylvania. It had the same gingerbread details and green and white paint. I have many happy memories of sitting on her porch when we visited her every summer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just lovely. So nice that you had this moment and recognized it for what it was.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, yes, Podso...rain does that to me every single solitary time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful post!

    I love sitting on the porch, when it is raining. There is just something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes - but I agree with Tanna smells more do. My Gram used to smell like vegies and Palmolive. She always wore an apron and peeled her veggies right into her lap then tossed them in the compost.

    Thanks for the memories!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a wonderful sort of moment to savor.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...