Monday, December 15, 2008

cozy afternoon

Sunday afternoon, after the lunch with visiting Little One and her parents, and after a nap, my mom and I lit the Christmas lights and settled into the couch with blankets to watch L*ttle Women.  We were waiting to go to a Christmas concert in the evening. 

I hadn't watched the (at least) ten-year old movie version in awhile. Funny how a beloved, familiar tale can be just so cozy to enter into again, no matter how well  you know the story. I read the book many times as a child and fancied myself  Jo March. Similar personalities, the desire to write, a bit of a tomboy, and a love of old attics, I guess. In 6th grade, our tight-knit group of the ten girls in our class decided while  huddled together against the Chicago chill one day at recess, to take names of boys. Well I guess it was names that could be either for a boy or a girl. Who knows why we came up with this idea, but I was "Jo," and my name stuck throughout the year and even into junior high. My mother and I enjoyed the movie so much, and I think we made a memory I will long cherish.  I count her among the blessings in my life.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you have your mother close by, and she has you. I know that is comforting for the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:56 PM

    I love the Little Women version with Winona Ryder..Is that the one you are talking about. I think it is the best of all three versions..I think I will get it out and watch it now..

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...