Friday, November 28, 2008

thankful?

Some of you have read Corrie ten Boom's book  The Hiding Place. If you haven't its worth a read once, if not twice. When Corrie and her sister, Betsey, were in a Nazi concentration camp (Ravensbruck), the conditions were dreadful, of course. Not only were they cold, hungry, dirty, and in way too overcrowded conditions, they were also infested by fleas. They had managed to snuggle in a Bible, and as they read it, they realized that they should be thankful for all things. When Betsey decided that meant to thank God for the fleas, Corrie had a problem with that.

Eventually she gave in and joined her sister in thanking God for this miserable part of their lives. But it was amazing to see what God had planned about the fleas.  Apparently the guards didn't like fleas either. So they stayed away from the barracks the women were in. That meant a lot more freedom for the women---freedom from assault, and freedom to cluster together to study the Bible and to pray. Yes, in the heart of a Nazi concentration camp.

idea for post taken from this guy .

4 comments:

  1. If I had taken the time to do a thoughtful post, this would surely have been part of it. That particular incident has been on my mind during this Thanksgiving time.

    Gracia Burnham's book that follows In the Presence of Mine Enemies has similar moments, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:19 PM

    I read The Hiding Place ages and ages ago. Stayed with me all these years---a treasure, for sure. In fact, I was reminded of it while I read the Guernsey book. Not sure if I have the strength of those folks. They put me to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is "this guy" a relative of yours?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this a few years ago, it is a truly amazing book.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...