Tuesday, November 18, 2008

just yesterday

Today my mother is 87. You wouldn't know it to see her. She is avidly interested in life, and especially now that many of her friends have left this earth, she finds her greatest joy in keeping up with her grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.

For most of my life, I did not think my mother could survive without my father. They had a classic marriage. She was his queen, and my mother loved to care for my dad. How could they ever make it apart? God gently prepared them, when Daddy had to move into a care center  just down the hall and around the corner from my mother's little apartment. Gradually she became more independent and learned to do the money stuff. It was one of those long good-byes.

And l I learned just how strong my mother is when my father did go to heaven three years ago. My mother has done what she has to do, and God has given her much grace.  She misses dad terribly, but has peace written on her countenance.

Since family members are scarce in our fair city these days, we'll just take Mom out to her favorite restaurant tonight (not a fancy one, mind you, she was a preacher's wife and I never knew my parents to spend much money on themselves.)

Happy Birthday, mom! I love you!

Photo: not mine of course: Mom at 20, with dad at the Jersey shore the summer before they married. I'm sure she thinks of this time as "just yesterday."

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:06 AM

    I just love the photo of your parents..
    Happy birthday, Miss Helen....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. And beautiful parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH how beautiful and I agree: you would never know her age!

    Hope it was a fun and delicious dinner!

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. How your Mom loved to care for your Dad and your Dad treating her like a Queen has filled me with tears. I just don't see that hardly ever know-a-days.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...