Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Echoes of the Sounds of Silence


stillness
Originally uploaded by podso

THERE IS SOMETHING TO be said for stillness and quiet (though it should be said very quietly of course, so not to disturb the peace). We relished our days in the mountains, and rejoiced that the first full day was a day of unending rain. There was nothing to do but read and nap. So restoring! The quiet was broken only by the sound of the rushing stream, rushing all the more after the rain. Such a soothing sound to lull one to sleep!

Silence like this allows peace to reign. Somehow when noise is going on, everything whirling in my mind kind of gets bogged down and is not given a proper perspective. In silence thoughts can sort themselves out to those that are meaningful ones to be pursued, while others are cast aside.

Did I bring silence back from the mountains with me? Not totally, but I am trying to decrease some of the noise around here. Some chores done in silence allow the same thought molding, and driving without the radio sometimes helps me to arrive more mentally rested than if I was "charged up" by the what I was listening to.

Anyway, it's worth thinking about. I read about silence recently in a magazine and the subtitle read: "Your world can be a place of peace if you let it."

1 comment:

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...