Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Roses for December


he loves me
Originally uploaded by podso.
Thirty-nine years ago today, yes that's 39, "Chief," the tall, lanky captain of the basketball team, asked me to attend a student government debate with him, followed by an ice-cream sandwich at the college snack shop. As we squeezed up to the crowded counter and placed our order I felt every eye on us. A small college and a new dating couple ... that was something to be noticed. And 37 years ago today, the same young man, now a college senior, hid a shiny diamond in his volkswagon glove compartment, took me up a mountain top overlooking the Hudson River, and asked me to marry him. I said "yes."

While Spouse is far across the ocean today, I found a good way to note this significant day in my life was to honor good friend Boniface on her birthday. We had a lunch and what was special to me was that this gracious birthday girl allowed me my dream of not sitting, but serving her and her friends gathered around the table. (Casablanca said, "I've been somewhere today!") Boniface always blesses us with short or long quotes in her notes or emails, so we decided to make this a "Quote birthday" celebration. Throughout our lunch, we unrolled small scrolls of quotes she knew and loved and then blessed her with our own favorites. It was a pleasant time and made a memory, as, in one scroll was written: "God has given us our memories that we might have roses in December." (J.M. Bauie). Here's to roses and more, Boniface!

1 comment:

  1. I have always loved that quote. Thank God for memories.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...