Monday, December 19, 2016

this is your life

 We celebrated the Gardener's birthday soon after Thanksgiving.
Anticipating our small family gathered around the table I came up with what I
think is one of my better ideas for a sort of game to play while we ate.

As a child, I learned a lot about my parents' lives through stories they told 
around our dinner table. I thought maybe it was time for our grandchildren 
to learn more about their grandpa's interesting life.
I formulated questions about his life and wrote them on small pieces of paper,
folded them up and put them in a bowl.
For the little non-readers, I printed small photos
for them to ask Grandpa about and put a smiley face on the outside
so they would know which ones to pick.
During dinner we passed the bowl of questions around, 
and enjoyed listening to the answers.
One question was about ice skates. In college the Gardener was
skating with a girl (not me) and showed off by jumping over a pile of brush.
The crack as his ankle broke echoed over the ice and he ended up in 
the hospital for four days and missed the rest of basketball season.
Littlest one, now 3 1/2, insightfully commented,
"I guess it's not so good to show off."


18 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of the mouth of babes!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea - everyone needs to do something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last photo is precious! And you came up with a good idea with the questions. I hope hubby had time to think about his answers! heehee! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it was a surprise for him.

      Delete
  5. Dotsie, that is a fabulous idea!!
    Love the little one's thoughtful conclusion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dotsie, that is a genius idea!

    What a delightful lesson that little one learned through that story, too! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a GOOD idea! I think I will use that one for sure some day. lol on the little one's thoughts... The picture is just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great idea and a game with conversations the grands will remember.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh we have learned a lot from the insights of our grandchildren too! (Though of course I am sure Grandpa learned that lesson all those years ago .))), That is a really great idea for a family game and I like how you included the youngest ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so sweet...memories all around. You're good at bringing this things to light. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your dinner conversation starter, Dotsie! What a wise 3 1/2year little one! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great idea! I will have to remember it when my grandchildren are a bit older. Happy belated birthday to the Gardener--it seems to me that we share a birthday. 😊Your youngest granddaughter is very wise for her age.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this idea. I might incorporate something like it into our Christmas celebration since there will only be 8 of us. Have a very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahahahaha...sharp cookie that grandgirlie! Well I love your idea and did something similar when my children were young. Haven't tried it with the grands yet. Wonder if they would find it as interesting as their dad did.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great idea for focused conversation - and an astute comment by the three-year-old. She's got things figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic idea for a way to get the children interested in their family's history! I was thinking earlier today that I have never really asked my dad about Christmases when he was little. I must do that and soon. Same with my mother, really. I'd like my children to know about their grandparents before they take their memories with them. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I've missed these stories you share so beautifully. =) Such sweetness. Wishing you and all of yours all the best in 2017, Dotsie!! blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...