Tuesday, September 08, 2015

bucket on my list

… Not a bucket list as much as a bucket on my list of
things to do with the grands ...
On Labor Day we stop by our kids' house. 
I have along a small bucket and a rope much
bigger than we need. I know they have the perfect 
tree in the side yard to rig up a bucket rope "contraption."
Sure enough, and before long the neighbor kids join in.

They have no trouble loading up the bucket and hand-over-hand 
pulling it up into the tree.
Down it comes again. Dump. Refill. Dump. Refill. 
No one asks "Is that all there is to this game?"

But soon Littlest One in all her two-ness is pulling 
my hand to come and bring the step ladder.
So the game goes to a new dimension as one by one those brave enough climb
to a perfect perch in the tree to receive the bucket. Pockets are stuffed 
with new things to load in the bucket for the trip down.

I saw this idea "somewhere on the internet" and wanted to 
try it with our grands, remembering our boys pulling stuff up 
to their tree house over and over again.
The internet article said little kids are entertained for hours and never
seem to mind "that's all there is" to the activity.
How true!
Soon it is time to go. We head off with the oversized rope and little
bucket stashed in the back of our car. I smile and wave at the kids--now moved
to the neighbor's yard, a different tree, a larger bucket, and another parent
cutting up a piece of rope to pull up the bucket.
And the game goes on.

20 comments:

  1. This is darling and I love your play on words ! You're a very inventive grandmother! :)

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great Grandma!!!! I must try it!!!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love this. I'm pinning this as an activity to do with my own grands. Such creativity on Grandma's part!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to try this game with my grandchildren, Dot. I think they will also find it fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Young children are easily entertained and yet so many are stifled, set in front of the tv or plugged into some device for mind numbing entertainment. While we were traveling this summer and had flight delays and then long flights, I was crocheting up a storm for the kids around me to quiet them down as their parents were screaming and shouting and becoming frustrated. I even carry tape and markers and pencils and paper with me and had some of the drawing and creating. I don't understand how parents travel without simple things for their kids to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes it's the simplest things that entertain the child - like a cardboard box. It's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, aren't you the fun grandma? I bet they had more fun playing the "bucket" game than any video games or toys they have in their possession! Isn't that always the way it is? Think of how much $$ everyone could save...lol! What a very cool idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's really fun to re discover things that remind us of growing up way back when ...when life was different and children played outdoors as long as the weather was good. Nice of you to start the ball rolling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know some grands that would enjoy the bucket game! Simple is best, Dotsie. What a lovely game to pass along! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is such a simple but wonderful idea!! My own kids/grands have used the stairway and banister to construct a pulley system and it can entertain for hours. Outdoors is even better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea for the kids to enjoy. My grandson has a lift and bucket for his treehouse.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Podso,
    I L O V E IT!!!
    Who needs an I~Pod when G'Ma has a "bucket"!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm thinking the word 'awesome' describes you perfectly. Memory-maker. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant. Adding to my list of great ideas. Thanks, friend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such an ingenious activity Dotsie. Really, who would have guessed that this would keep little ones occupied for any length of time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun idea! Simple things like this stir their imagination, and writing memories of my Dad, Aunts, and Grandparents at this time - creates everlasting memories.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well how nice! Its great to 'do' something beside computer games or tv. Now, thats living!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...