Monday, July 21, 2014

over tea

Even on a summer day I love a good cup of hot tea in the afternoon. And I still haven't learned to make a decent glass of southern tea. In spite of the "northern invasion" down here, if you ask for tea in a small town "local" you will get a tall glass of sweet tea. In the city, though,  they may now ask if you mean sweet, unsweetened, or hot.

But since it is too hot to chat over the fence I'd suggest a cup of tea inside, and a catch up on bits and pieces such as:

I am enjoying the bonus of our hot summers: the crepe myrtles. They seem to be blooming better than I ever remember before. The colors are deep and it is always a wonder to me how they stand so straight and tall, absorbing all that heat and looking so wonderful . . .
. . . except after a torrent of rain such as we had today. Now they are dipping to such an 
extent that the Gardener is concerned. He even took his umbrella, went under and gently 
shook water off some of the boughs. (I also love our pink sidewalks!)
My favorite summer fruit: cantaloupe, blue berries and strawberries. 
So good and so good lookin'.
Another favorite fruit: our abundant and luscious tomatoes. The 
Gardener has done an exceptional job with them this summer.
And he finally agreed to grow zucchini so I've been working on new recipes. 
But our frig drawer is full as I can't quite keep up with them. 
And who wants to see someone coming towards them with an armload of zucchinis?
Except for this one. It was an armload of one zucchini. It was hiding in the garden.
 We took it to the kids and I wonder how they used it.
 I seem to be doing all the talking so here's the last thing. Little One came for the day last week 
and we had fun doing lots of projects including making cottage cheese. In fact,
we were both quite exhausted at the end of the day.
One thing we did was to sew a simple skirt for her. But first we went to a 
fabric shop so she could pick out fabric and choose matching thread.
I didn't even think about the possibility of there being  P r i n c e s s   fabric for sale.
I admire her ability to make a decision and stand firm on it.
And it never occurred to me she would want a maxi! 
Good thing cutting it to length was the last thing we did!

18 comments:

  1. I love crepe myrtles! We left one behind in our old home that I loved. Never put one in here. So many trees already! Love that you made a skirt with your little one. I have told my Hannah that we would make something this summer too. I thought I would let her pick out the fabric and we would make a pillow slip!
    Tell The Gardener that his maters look great!!!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. The produce from your garden is fabulous. I drink hot tea in the summer, too. We only have iced tea when we have company. We're milk drinkers big time. I tried blueberries and oranges together. They're a great combination, too. How wonderful that you and Little One sew together and that she already knows her mind about what she likes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That fruit looks so good! I adore crepe myrtles - yours are gorgeous!

    That maxi skirt is so cute! The girl knows what she likes!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the tomatoes! If I showed you ours, you'd laugh! Cute skirt! What a dear grandmother you are to just whip one up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Podso, I agree with all the above comments...and will add a bit of my own. We don't seem to have a lot of crepe myrtles where I live, but the ones I have seen are soooo pretty. I think when subdivisions began popping up 20-30 years ago, THE tree to plant lots of was the Bradford Pear. They are gorgeous in the spring, but the blooms don't last long at all. Love all your fresh fruit and veggies, and what an awesome grandma you are!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a fun Grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the skirt! So fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun to have the young'un there. Love the cute skirt. I envy you those gorgeous tomatoes. Ours are getting blight. I think they got too much rain. I might like hot tea better if I had such a gorgeous cup. On the other hand, it would be wasted on me. I've tried to get excited about tea; alas I am a morning coffee drinker with many mugs to choose from. I notice that on British TV shows, they put the kettle on for any reason at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was born and raised in the south and can't make a decent cold tea. I do know that it has to be sweetened with sugar (no substitute) when it's hot, allowed to cool, chilled and poured over a glass chock full of ice. However, mine always turns cloudy--a big NO NO! I also cannot make a princess skirt but you and Little One did a great job.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful skirt. I remember my granddaughter wanted big circular cut skirts....to twirl around in! What a pretty photo of the pink blooms on the ground! Enjoy your evening and save me some fruit! It's what I love best....fresh fruit! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. The skirt is darling, Dot! We are all wearing long dresses and skirts, just fun and fashionable. Sewing is another one of your talents???!

    I so wish we could have crepe myrtle up here...I get envious seeing your beautiful trees!! I suppose we have thing here that you can't have so it's even!! Ha! That the law of the land! And sweet tea..no. We are just served the regular stuff and given packaged sweetener. I make a lot of sun tea in the summer. Just cold water and tea bags in a glass jar brewed in the sun. Spectacular. We love it with just a few slices of lemon.

    Hurray for you on the garden bounty. I was often overzealous with the zucchini plants and the best thing i did was make loaves of bread and freeze them for the fall. Lovely with cream cheese spread on the slices! :)

    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the chat, Dotsie! In fact, it's the next best thing to pulling up a chair at your table.
    I love your pink sidewalks too!
    I am smiling, thinking of your granddaughter who knows exactly what she wants. She must already have a sense of style. How lovely that you shared some grandmother/granddaughter sewing/mentoring/memory-making time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Crepe myrtles are a plant I have to admire from afar, they're not winter hardy here. I like the pink sidewalk too, what a magnificent display, as you mentioned.
    Isn't it interesting that your granddaughter would want a maxi length skirt? Do you wear this style yourself and this is why she chose it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. the petals are so lovely...you really captured summer today!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm chuckling over the decisiveness and the standing strong. LOL! Yes, we have nothing if not grandchildren with minds of their own. LOL! Sure wish I were close enough to share that cup of tea. blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved this little chat. I'm smiling over the Prince*ss fabric and her determination. I can foresee the same thing around here some day. Crape myrtles are so colourful. Nothing like that here. Zucchini and tomatoes are some of the best things about summer. Our zucchini has started, but the tomatoes will need another couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Crepe Myrtles are wonderful southern trees, aren't they? We've been meaning to plant some in our backyard -- hopefully this fall. I love all your pics of fresh fruit and veggies -- Yummm! Believe it or not, I had that very combination of fruit this morning at breakfast; it was served by someone else, so I can't take credit, but it was delicious. :) Your granddaughter is a cutie and it looks like the two of you are having fun times together, Dotsie. Grandmothers really are the best. :)

    Hope you have a great weekend!

    Big Hugs,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  18. So much pretty in this post. The tree is amazing and the sidewalk looks so nice covered in petals. Amazing produce and the sweetest maxi skirt for your sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...