Saturday, July 19, 2014

miss muffet

Home made cottage cheese. Have you ever tried it? It's a cut above store bought. When we lived in Africa I made it fairly often as we couldn't buy any there.  I was thinking about it recently … and how we made it in later years with homeschool kids as a "science experiment." Since not-so-Little One was over the other day, we decided to give it a whirl. After it was finished, we used the cheese in some open-faced broiled sandwiches and the Gardener remarked right away how he detected an improvement in flavor.

When the kids were little we went to a cheese factory and saw that the process is quite similar to making cottage cheese at home, just on a larger scale. It's interesting to read food labels and see how many (processed, of course) foods contain whey.

To make the cheese, simply: bring 1/2 gallon 2% milk just to a boil over medium heat, stirring slowly. Remove from heat immediately and stir in 1/2 cup vinegar. Here comes the most fun part: watch the curds separate from the whey while you sing "Little Miss Muffet sat on a tuffet eating her curds and whey." You may get the question "Why would a spider sit down next to a little girl?"

Let rest with lid on pan for 10 minutes and then pour into colander lined with cheese cloth or a thin tea towel. Put the colander in a bowl if you want to reserve the whey for other cooking. Drain for 20-30 minutes and then remove from towel and place in a bowl. Add a little salt to taste or other seasonings and stir in small amount of milk if desired (to make it more like store bought.) I figured the cost is about the same as buying it already made. 

16 comments:

  1. It sounds easy enough. Now if one is not a great fan of cottage cheese, would the added flavor be too intense? I do love cottage cheese with fresh peaches... What did your granddaughter think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy. Thank you for the recipe.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, what's the answer to the question? About the spider? I'd be interested to know what you said. My husband might be interested in this recipe! But we drink skim milk but also have whole milk for cereal. Would you know how if you can mix whole milk with skim to get 2%?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like something I would love to do with my grands!! I love cottage cheese and am like Vee - I love it with fresh sliced peaches! Also salt and pepper and crackers! Pretty much any way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lydia5:57 PM

    I'm totally impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never been too fond of cottage cheese but I can see it's very easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That does sound easy! I'm with Vee on loving it with fresh peaches! Yum! I am going to give this a try!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. This would be a great recipe to try when I have extra milk. I love cottage cheese and would like to give this a try sometime. The farmer would be very impressed if I was successful. He always talks about how his mom would give each of the kids a jar of cream to shake and make into butter as they were watching tv. Thanks for stopping by to say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fascinating! I never knew the recipe was so simple. And it seems foolproof also. I hear yogurt is also very easy to make.
    And so, why DID the spider sit down beside a little girl?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice project to do with children--and then eat the results! I love cottage cheese served with peaches on top, and since this is peach time of the year it will be fun to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great way to teach your grandchildren about how things are made. I love cottage cheese and haven't made my own for years. What do you do with the whey?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm taking that recipe with me to France next time Dotsie - my grandies think everything comes from the supermarché!
    I confess I've never made it so I will give it a go - what is 2% milk???

    ReplyDelete
  13. That does look good! I have never even thought of making my own but it looks like something I might be able to handle! I bet it has such a rich flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've made a lot of homemade things over the years...even churned butter but I've never tried this! Would be fun to make...and eat! Is there any left? heehee Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never tried home made cottage cheese.. I do love it, especially with some peaches.. YUM! Thanks for sharing, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love to try this with our Keri. She has mentioned recently that she likes cottage cheese. Sounds easy enough. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...