Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The Awful Wonders of Poison

It was such a beautiful day! A warm sunny day with fall in the air. Spouse was safely home from the hospital and even feeling like puttering just a bit outside. I did the lawn and dumped the clippings in the back woods, checking oh so very carefully for the poison ivy that attacked me so vigorously a year ago. All done, I didn't want to go in. The day was too nice, besides there was weeding and cleaning out of vines and bushes that had gone too long neglected. I got busy. Pretty sweaty too. Wow I got a lot done. A great sense of accomplishment.

Several days later, driving home from work, I noticed two bumps on my leg that itched. Must have gotten bitten by something. Then two more "bites" on my chest. (You would think I would have remembered a year ago, turning the house upside down cleaning, convinced there were bugs infesting something.) Well, duh, I finally get what it is. But still leave it, thinking this can't be as bad a case as last time. No scratching this time, but still it spreads daily and weeps and looks like leprosy or something. This is true POISON inside me. I am amazed at it's power. Finally treated, the poison is still taking its sweet old time to leave my body. And I get to suffer side effects of the treatment as well. What we are thinking in this household is, "When will life get back to normal?"

1 comment:

  1. Don picked some mangoes once to take to the neighbor across the street. He laid them on his arm to carry them. Some time later he got a rash. When he stopped at the dermatologist's office, Dr. Demetree said, "Don, you have poison ivy." "But I haven't been in poison ivy," said Don.

    Mangoes, cashew nuts, and poison ivy are all in the same family. We had a missionary wife in Haiti who was very allergic to cashew nuts. Danny had bought some from the lady who came by selling them. They were wrapped in a paper in a drawer in his bedroom, and when his mom walked in the door, she began itching.

    I've never had that experience...of poison ivy, that is.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...