Friday, April 03, 2020

my face itches


It seems that as soon as I get into a public place, which is usually only the grocery store, my face starts to itch. Have you found that? I think we probably touch our faces a lot, and that, among a list of other things, is off limits these days.

There's a new kind of thinking we have to do now, at least we are, ... the steps to safely go to the grocery store or the curbside pick-up (which we try to do), bringing the bags into the house, getting the mail, receiving packages.

This is Day #23 of us staying at home. It hasn't been too bad, but I often think what it would be like if our electricity or internet were down. We have so much to be thankful for, and so much to entertain ourselves at home. I haven't done half of what I'd like to do. We happen to be in a glorious spring, so walks outside and yard work are wonderful diversions.

We eat a lot of ground turkey, but I haven't been able to find it in a store for the last two weeks (nor have friends who offer to shop for me.) That's a mild concern for me, but there's so much more to be concerned about. I don't need to list it here, but it has been hard to see friends lose jobs or have work hours reduced dramatically. The list of friends to pray for that are dealing with cancer or other traumas continues to grow.

So the most important thing we can do during this time is to pray for our lists, and for those in authority, for those suffering, for those who can't see their loved ones dying with covid. And as Edie Wadsworth, a blogger, said, "Let's let the suffering do it's work. May we submit to its teaching. What can we learn about ourselves right now?"

And I look around and see so much to be grateful for. Good things come out of hard times. Blessings come with having to stay home. And I try to focus on them.

More time to enjoy spring and going for walks.
Good chance to see some movies or TV series I've missed.
Good books to read.
Technology to chat with our grands, text or call to check on friends, our weekly Bible study on zoom, worship services online, and even zoom a birthday celebration.
More time to do creative things, even if its expressed with place settings.
Getting crochet projects finished.

A fun visit with friends in a park parking lot as we "social distanced."
Seeing families out walking, riding bikes, being creative.
All the funny memes, and jokes--it's good to laugh.
Enjoying all the creative ways Americans are coming together to help each other.

Grateful for a neighbor, a former fireman, who climbed up our roof to refasten loose siding (he did not tell his wife.)
The opportunity to slow down, think and reflect more, and be grateful.

And speaking of roofs, we loved bringing a care package to the grands and 
having a window visit, even though it interrupted their school work! 



10 comments:

  1. I have a friend who wears a mask when she goes out, mainly to stop herself touching her face.
    Lovely photo of the place setting with eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we're about to be required to wear masks when in public...perhaps as soon as today. Yes, the list of concerns is long for each person. May you find some ground turkey. I'd be content to find eggs. The kids won't let me shop so what they find, I am content with and grateful.

    Spring has sprung there! I will be thrilled when it springs here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my second try to comment; just cheering you on as you have a window visit with your grands while delivering a care package, and I love the photo of you and friends and RV visiting and of course social distancing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Podso,
    Thank you for putting "life" in proper perspective!
    "Mr. Ed" & I, too, have been spending time out~of~doors.
    Yesterday, I had him place some vintage lawn art on the curb.
    It is parallel to a State Highway.
    He wrote FREE and tied it around the neck of the lawn art.
    A few hours later, a young lady (totally ecstatic) and her husband
    loaded the lawn art into their car. She told "Mr.Ed",
    "This is really, really old stuff! I can't go shopping right now!
    I told my husband as we went to get groceries, if that's still on
    the side of the road on our way back home. . .I'm taking it!"
    There were many smiles from six feet, and a Garden Gate distance!
    Like you, my Prayer List grows daily. . .but so do the blessings!
    God bless you, friend!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. So wonderful to see your blog and happy all is well with you. It is good to be outdoors these days since going farther than the yard just isn't happening. We did get some mulch for the yard but working with the flowers and all is really therapeutic! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear from you in this interesting time. God is going to teach us a lot if we listen and obey Him in this time. Stay safe and Keep the Faith.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dotsie, I really enjoyed reading your thankful thoughts this evening. Surely we have much to learn during these times. Stay well, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you are doing ok and able to do a few fun things too. I wish I was closer to family but at least we can talk and text. That makes ALL the difference! Take care of yourself and stay safe! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, my face itches too...isn't that funny how we are unaware of these things when we think it doesn't matter? This was such a great post, Dotsie...you put everything I have also been thinking about this whole thing in such a beautiful way. We are doing fine here out in the boonies. We tried the Walmart online grocery ordering yesterday for the first time and was pleasantly surprised! It may be the way we go now until life returns to "normal". Glad you are staying safe and healthy and hope you have a wonderful Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dotsie!

    It's so good to see some posts from you! I've been trying to get back here for two weeks or more to leave comments, but things are staying pretty busy here. I read this when it first appeared on my blogroll, but didn't get a chance to comment then. I have to tell you, I laughed out loud when I read the title; my face has been constantly itching since all this pandemic business started. Actually, not so much at home, but as soon as I get out in public, it seems. Mostly though, my husband has been doing the grocery shopping and errands because I have asthma and am supposedly in the "at risk" group.

    I like your list of things to be thankful for, and I think it's a good list. We've really seen people's humor and creativity emerge during this, haven't we? This has also been a worrisome time, so the humor is much appreciated.

    I'm glad you and yours are doing well. Take care, and have a good weekend, my friend -- I hope we don't get that severe thunderstorm that's predicted.

    Hugs to you,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...