Wednesday, April 18, 2007

getting a handle on My broom


with handle
Originally uploaded by podso.
After the grass is cut I reach for a broom. It's just how I was raised. Mow, then sweep. No power blowers for me. No electricity drain, no fuel smells or loud noises to disrupt our quiet cul de sac. Green readers should appreciate this. And not only is it environmentally helpful, it works those arm muscles too. I don't reach for just any broom now, but one my dad used that we stashed in our garage after my parents downsized yet another time before my dad's promotion home.

I love the sound of sweeping (like I love the sound of tires on gravel, sister). I remember the sound of sweeping early mornings in Ghana when people were getting their houses or front doors in order for the day. Now when I sweep I can't help but think of my father and how he loved to sweep (or it seems he did, for he used his broom a lot.) He taught us to sweep the front stoop before guests arrived. "Do you want them tracking dirt into a clean house?" he'd query. So it's almost inborn in me. When the meal is ready for guests, the last thing I do is go out and sweep the porch. And remember my dad. Apron on, of course (was I not born for another time?)

Which reminds me that tomorrow is "National Hang Out your Laundry Day" ... even in the better neighborhoods where it might be against "community guidelines." There could be a whole lot said about hanging clothes outside on a line and what it can do for a person, as well how it saves a ton of energy resource.

Does any of this have anything to do with the tragic events at VT a few days ago? Probably not much, though it does take us back to a simpler time when life was not as complex. We knew our neighbors and spent time with our families. Slowing down enough to do these simple chores allows us time to think––to mull, process, wonder, pause. And one person and then another and then another, doing that, could in time ripple* change for the better in our mixed up world. I really think so.

*I may have just made a new verb. I love it!

1 comment:

  1. I do enjoy your photos. The other day when I came to your blog they didn't show up, so I'm glad I came back today.

    I'm here with Ella, as you know, in Virginia. I came up on the 16th, and I'm leaving Sunday. Monday is the fifth anniversary of Don's death...hard to believe. I want to get home to spend time with Sarah.

    Ella is doing well. She's a delightful baby, on a good schedule, and just so happy all the time. It's hard to believe that there is something wrong inside her body. David prays everyday for a cure for her...maybe in her lifetime. It's quite something to see your little boy become a father and take on all the burdens and joys that come with having a child with a physical problem. Ella is a very blessed little girl to have David and Sabrina for parents...I didn't start this out to be so long.

    Thanks for the e-mail with reference to the blog you're reading.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...