Sunday, February 11, 2018

beauty, bikes and a bonus

First the beauty: Our wonderful DIL dropped this lovely hydrangea off at our door this week to thank us for helping with their move. After working hard for three days I concluded I actually like the process of moving––that is, moving someone else, not me. :-)  We moved so often during the first half of our marriage, I guess I got good at the process. I enjoy the physical activity and the organizing part of it.
The Bike: Before they moved, one day I came by their house and saw this bike at their curb. Certainly an unusual place to leave a bike. It didn't look familiar to me and it stayed there two days. DIL said so many people came by, looked at it, and started searching on their cell phones. Turns out our son had to leave his car for service and rather than get a loaner they suggested he use a bike service. You simply look on your phone for where the nearest bike is, go get it, log in on your phone and off you go. You get charged by the time (I think) and just leave it at your destination for the next person to come along and use. If not used by a certain time, 
the bike company comes and places the bike in a busier location. 

When I was uptown for the trial I saw plenty of these bikes on street corners parked 
with kickstands or in bike racks. On a very windy day, I noticed quite a few lying on their sides.

~~~~

19 comments:

  1. Such a lovely gift from your DIL. I hope you will plant it in your garden when the weather permits. I'm sure she was thankful for the help in the move. I've seen those bikes in larger cities. Have a nice new week. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those bikes are all over the place in the greater Seattle area. An interesting and practical idea...I guess. Beautiful hydrangea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hydrangea is a beauty. I recently planted two. The bike service sounds useful doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A breath of spring, you hydrangea! And what a brilliant idea to rent a bike!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very thoughtful of your DIL! Hydrangeas are among my most favorite plants. I planted several new ones last year and I'm hoping they are going to survive this MUCH colder, longer than usual winter we are having. Dotsie, if we ever move again, I'm sending you a plane ticket. Ha ha! ;)
    How interesting with the bike service! Entrepreneurial minds! I think our secrets are secrets only in our own minds now. blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely hydrangea, it almost looks unreal.
    How wonderful to be able to find your umbrella! Technology....!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is this the son with the 3 children? I hope they haven't moved further away from you! As for the bike--I've always wondered how do they keep them from being stolen?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We helped our daughter move in January. I had the same thoughts about moving as you did!
    We have a similar bike service in Victoria and it seems very popular, especially with visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful plant! Hydrangeas are my favorite flower...I love all of the pretty shades they come in. And how interesting about the bikes. I've never heard of that but it would be neat! Enjoy your afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those hydrangea blossoms. Such fresh colours. The bike is an interesting concept. Our children in Vancouver didn't have a car for their first years there; instead, they used CarToGo, which is a similar concept.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely hydrangea!
    And yes I would think the umbrella idea would be great ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bike idea is great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful hydrangea...and what will they think of next? I wonder how they keep the bikes from being stolen...even if just for awhile since they have locaters on them evidently. If I had an umbrella like that would probably cost a pretty penny so hopefully the mechanism inside works better than the run-of-the-mill Walmart variety. It seems they fall apart so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those hydrangeas are beautiful. I think the bike idea is great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the bike idea is very odd. 😖 Hope no one ever suggests it to me or they’ll receive a piece of my mind that I can ill afford to lose. Now those hydrageas are corkers. Did they move nearer or farther away?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bike rentals are popular in Denver--there are many rental racks of them-- and I'd rather see them used then cars. Glad you were able to help your daughter-in-law with their move--the hydrangeas is a nice "Thank you!"

    ReplyDelete
  17. How very interesting about the locators in an umbrella
    I use to love riding a bike my old legs now couldn't do it LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. A hug for you today...just because.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the bike idea and the hydrangea is just lovely; what a thoughtful gift from your DIL ! But while reading I was wondering how on earth do they keep those bikes from been stolen?! Great idea, I'd say, bikes for rent.
    So sweet for dropping by my friend and liking my chairs.
    Blessings,
    Fabby

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...