Wednesday, December 06, 2017

the thirteenth plate

We were planning on 14 for dinner, but then one husband needed to sing in the Messiah. 
So we were down to thirteen. The Gardener surprised me with 12 Christmas plates 
a few years ago, and how I have enjoyed them each Christmas. 
We liked the pattern so much we gathered from here and 
there enough everyday castle dishes to use the rest of the year.  
So a thirteenth, I thought a castle plate would barely be noticed.
This group of friends gets together almost every Christmas season, and it's usually at our house. 
I was thinking 13 would be quite a squeeze for us, and since our kids were going
away for the weekend, they kindly agreed to let us use their house for the party.
It has more room in the dining room, and well, everywhere.
I was determined to bring everything that we needed from our house.
That was extra folding chairs, tablecloth, dishes, glasses, napkins, cutlery,
table decorations, my apron, etc. It was like catering for a party.
I went over in the morning to set the table. It was fun getting ready in their pretty house. 
Everyone brought part of the meal. It was delicious. 
It was festive. It was fun.
And we laughed a lot.
After we all went through the buffet line and settled down to eat,
I suggested they each look inside their place card to see a question to answer.
If they did not like the question, they could trade with one other person without
knowing their question. I'll list the questions we came up with at the end. 
They created a good deal of laughter and discussion.
The only damper to a lovely evening was discovering this 
when we arrived to get the final details in order. 
Our kids, sadly, lost favorite ornaments. Glass scattered far and wide.
One couple came early to heat their food
and helped us clean it up and stabilize the tree again.
The lights kept working, so it still looked pretty.

Questions:
What 5 things would you grab to take with you in an evacuation?
What are you especially thankful for this year?
What new thing have you learned this past year?
If you had to live in a cubicle, what things would you want around you?
What does comfort mean to you?
Describe one of the most memorable persons you've known.
If you had the chance to do one thing over again in life, what would it be?
If money were no object, what would be your ideal vacation?
~~~~~~~~~

16 comments:

  1. How lovely the table looks, Dotsie! I think the Britain Castle plate fits right in with your pretty Christmas dishes. Most Johnson Bros. dishes have a unique way of going with each other pattern. And I love the idea of a question at each placecard. I peeked at the question before realizing you had listed them. The first thing that popped in my head to take would be photos. I'm sure there are more important items but to me they are priceless.
    So sorry about the tree. I'm glad you all were able to get it back into position. How nice that your children allowed you to use their home for your occassion. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! So sad to see a tree down knowing that treasures were lost.

    The castle fit right in...perfect shade of red!

    Those questions! 😳 Is that The Hodge Podge?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this story, Dotsie! (Well, except for the toppled tree part. Sadness.) I love the questions on the back of the place cards. I love the whole idea of hosting (catering) in another house. I love that your children were willing to share. I love, love your beautiful table . . . all thirteen dishes . . . and the charming little bottle brush trees! What a wonderful dinner party that must have been!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice that your kids lent you their spacious home, Dot. The dining room and your place setting is lovely. The place card questions sound like such a fun little thing to do and a real conversation starter.

    Very sad about the tree. There was one Christmas when the tree was just finished being decorated, and it completely keeled over. We didn't lose a whole lot of ornaments, but my husband was having fits sorting out the lights! lol!

    I can'r decide what I would go for first if I had to leave my home in a hurry. I think of those in the California wildfires getting that knock on the door in the middle of the night. I would grab my husband and dogs, a few bottles of water and get the heck out as fast as I could.

    Happy Holidays, such a fun post!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. SUCH a beautiful table setting! And, how wonderful to have a Christmas tradition with friends that has lasted so long. THAT is a treasure. Which question did you get? Some of those would require some serious thought. Mostly I'm thinking about the one thing I would change...
    I'm so sorry some of your children's ornaments were lost. I've seen that scene before! (Thank goodness not this year!) Glad you had help to get it back upright and glowing.
    You are doing a LOT for someone not that long past surgery. Take good care of yourself. blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the plates, I love that you host a big dinner for friends, I love that you were able to use your kids' house! Don't love the fallen tree! Yikes!

    Emma collected the British Castles dishes and has five sets that she has never used! She'd like to sell them. Are you in need of any more?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The thirteenth plate fits in perfectly with the Christmas trees. I've never seen the British Castle dishes before and am enamored with them.
    Too bad about the fallen tree and the lost ornaments. It happened to us once, too. Woke up in the morning and there was the Christmas tree, lying across the couch.
    I like the question idea. Looks like you had a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always love your table settings, and the everyday castle plate is lovely. Is it Johnson Bros?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always love your table settings, and the everyday castle plate is lovely. Is it Johnson Bros?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my golly what a wonderful post! Your tablescape is gorgeous, the questions to keep the conversations lively - brilliant and I am soooo doing that one day!

    I am so so so sorry their tree fell down - oh my goodness, so sad, what a mess, talk about a surprise! YIKES!

    Enjoyed this, Dotsie - I think it's neat you do this every year. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well seeing that tree on the floor must have been a shock. Yikes. You set a beautiful table and the questions you asked were great conversation starters. Fun. How nice that you could borrow your kids' home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a shock that must have been! The questions inside the place cards is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your plates are beautiful and perfect for the party. So sorry about the tree falling, but glad it was fixed in time. Have a great weekend, and take a rest- you deserve it after all that work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dotsie, That is a shame to have lost precious ornaments. What great questions! Thanks for sharing and have a great week. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun idea it was to play the question game...great ones, at that! Oh...that tree mishap, how awful! I kept waiting to see the kitty cat responsible but I guess not...lol! By your photo, it still looked beautiful...and speaking of beautiful...THOSE DISHES and THAT TABLE! You throw a nice party, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your dishes and your table is beautiful. How wonderful it must be to have the room to set such a large table at Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...