Wednesday, August 09, 2017

by ear


Got some good soup at the market recently and then realized I had gotten the no salt version. It needed help. I added this and that and by the time I had it tasting as I'd like, there were like 10 items on the counter--various cheeses, spices, etc. I love making up recipes or fixing up established ones. After 45 years of cooking I've come to know what additions will make it tasty for us.

It reminds me of playing an instrument "by ear." My father used to tease us with an image of a head lying on the piano keys with the ear doing the playing. My father was my first piano teacher. He played beautifully as did most of his siblings. In those early days he would tell me piano stories. The black keys were the rooms and little people would fly up and down the keys from room to room.

When I got a teacher that we paid, I had to perform in recitals which I didn't like very much. I studied with her into junior high school. Then one spring came the recital in a downtown Chicago building overlooking Buckingham fountain. I gazed out the window at the fountain so much as I played that I made a little mistake. It was enough to humiliate me and I decided it was the end of piano lessons for me.

But what made it easier to give up lessons was that I  could play things without reading the music. I just needed to hear it or see the words and I could play it. I see in my mind what key to start on, and the less I think it through, the better I do. The downside is that I began to get lazy about reading music and now I find that challenging for me. But I do love being able to play so many things I would not have music for. It's relaxing and I enjoy it when I have time.

Apparently "playing by ear" runs in the family. My father could play that way and I have a cousin who never took a piano lesson but plays beautifully. It's a strange thing. Maybe playing by ear is on the same gene as cooking by taste. At least I began this by talking about a pot of soup. What I need to do is read labels more carefully rather than relying on a familiar picture or color on the label.

10 comments:

  1. I took piano for 7 years and finally stopped my senior year in high school. I was getting burned out and didn't want to have to give a senior recital. I still enjoy just playing for myself. My father was like yours, he played beautifully by ear, something I never did much until I quit taking lessons. My granddaughters have my piano now and don't play, so I'm tempted to bring it back home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to be able to play the piano. All of my family is very musical with my brothers playing guitars and mandolins...even we girls tinkered at them a bit and it is all by ear as well. I can plink out a tune or two on the ivories but when it comes to putting both hands on the keyboard, that's it for me. I think the best of both worlds is knowing how to read the notes, but not having to rely on them. Sounds like you are there! How's the knee coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Dotsie, this is very familiar to me. I too play by ear and it gave me less incentive to practice. I remember once at a recital, playing something rather complicated for me, and of course we had to have it memorized. I took to daydreaming (as is often the case!) and all of the sudden realized that I didn't know where I was in the memorized sheet music - but my hands were still flying across the keys. I had to think fast and catch my brain up to the music. I actually pulled it off, but never again did I let myself daydream like that during a recital! I hope your knee is progressing well, that you're seeing improvement daily, and less pain in therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your story. I used to play the piano but never by ear. It is rather amazing to me that there are those who can. I guess it's the same with people who can draw automatically without taking lessons. It's probably why you can doctor up a soup without a recipe and have it turn out right. I did not get the 'play it by ear' gene. ☹️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of the finest pianists I know "play by ear." I like the anaolgy between being a cook unafraid to experiment and a musician who plays by ear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your father sounds like he was a fun guy! I love when parents give us opportunities to share in what they love. It doesn't always prove to be successful, but its a good thing.

    Lot's of folks in Michigan get together and someone usually sits down at a piano or picks up a violin. One of our good friends, who recently passed, played by ear. I found that to be amazing. Good for you, I don't think you can do much better when you can make people smile.

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. How great to play and cook by ear and taste!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful gift to be able to play the piano by ear!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, I'd love to have that gift! :) My daughter can do that, and she cooks that way too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was thinking about you on my walk this morning. Saying a little prayer that your recovery is speedy! Oh, girl, I can ASSURE you that cooking "by ear" and playing "by ear" are NOT the same gene. LOL! I'm a pretty wicked cook "by ear"... but, I couldn't carry a tune if someone put it in a bucket for me!! LOL! I am envious of those who can... and who can sing. I remember one Sunday we were visiting a church that the lady down the pew from my had this POWERFUL and beautiful voice... I crept down the pew until I was nigh in her arm pit... just so I could hear her voice as mine (in my mind) while I sang my heart out. How awesome it is that you can play and cook so well!! blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...