Thursday, May 18, 2017

Hollow Hours

May is a busy month so we had only six at our book club today. It actually was good to
be small for a change, and everyone had a chance to talk. Our discussion was lively.
The book, Peace Like a River was by Leif Enger, an excellent writer.
It was unusual and full of surprises and pithy one line sentences.

 Mr. Enger is a marvelous story teller. There were layers upon layers in his story, 
but they were understandable and not confusing. 
It was a book I could pick up after being away from it, and be right back in the story.
The book took place mainly in the early 60s. There was a murder, a fugitive, and a warm, loving,
very tight family. "Exile has its hollow hours" was one of many observations about life.
We met at fellow blogger Rhondi's* house, and enjoyed a cream tea and her love of blue and white.
It was a wonderful, relaxing afternoon with good friends and I recommend you look for the book!
It was the first time I got a book on my iPad (and phone) from the library.
It worked OK, but I still love paper pages! 
*Rhondi and I read each other's blogs for awhile before we somehow discovered
we lived about two miles apart. After she invited me over for tea,
we became "in person" friends and I invited her to join our book club.
The rest, as they say, "is history!"

14 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks like a great time, Dot! I want to look up this book, especially as you said you liked to go back to it. I like those sort of novels.

    I've been a longtime blog follower of Rhondi...I'm so surprised you are in the same area! You have a lot in common!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful setting!! I've heard the book is good. Thanks for the recommendation.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like so much fun! I am blown away with all of Rhondi's blue dishes! How cool is it that you only live a couple of miles from each other! Enjoy your weekend, Dotsie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great book choice. Read it several years back. You're soooo blessed with your bookclub, as you well know. :) And awesome blue and white she has. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all her blue and white dishes on the wall!

    This books sounds good, but at the moment I have a stack.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was struck by the blue and white dishes! So beautiful! And while I haven't read the book, you have made it sound like a book worthwhile reading. How amazing that you and Rondi bonded online, and now in person, that is so special! Hugs to you today :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Hollow Hours". If you've ever experienced one, that phrase captures it perfectly. Plus, Peace Like a River has its own appeal. Going to put this one on my list. LOVE Rhondi's blue and white. Beautifully put together. I love how you met through blogging and connected in "real life". blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved your view of the table empty and then with it filled with people. That was a story in itself! How wonderful to discover a fellow blogger nearby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great choice for a book club. I read it several years ago and still think of it occasionally. Rhondi's home is gorgeous - it's hard to go wrong with blue and white and pretty dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so nice to meet a blogging friend in the flesh! I have a bit of a challenge walking away from blue and white dishes. Maybe I shall steal the idea of putting all my dishes on a wall...
    Happy busy week to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All that blue and white is soooo gorgeous! Thank you (and Rhondi) for sharing. Thank you for the book recommendation too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I saw the picture of the blue room I had to think of Rhondi ... and I was so surprised you were there! I followed her blog the last years she posted. She is such a kind lady. Can you please greet her from me, Carolien from Holland!

    Thank you and Dutch greetings, Carolien

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun to find that out that your blogging buddy was a neighbor in real life! Book sounds excellent. Joining a Book Club is an unfulfilled item on my bucket list (traveling makes it difficult to fulfill a few of those items, that being one.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You caught some crazy expressions!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...