Sunday, March 01, 2015

bedtime birthdays

So there we were. Baby sister bathed and in bed. Little Brother bathed and in jammies. Time for Big Sister to have her shower and then some bedtime stories. But something catches their attention. The big cheeseburger bank is suddenly morphing into a birthday cake. And the party planning (bedtime stalling) begins.

"We can't read stories right now, Grandma, we're planning your birthday party. Please don't look over here while we're working." They keep busy right by the cake for the longest time. But what they are doing I'm not sure. Of course I can't look. But I hear words like streamers, balloons, gifts, candles, cake, presents.

Suddenly it is time. They run around the room waving their arms shouting, "Pretend you see balloons, streamers … you have to pretend a little Grandma." That's not hard for me. The room comes alive with all the trappings of a party. There are presents wrapped in baskets and a big candle on top of the carrot cake. The singing of the birthday song begins with vigor. I go over and blow as hard as I can to get the large carrot candle out in one blow. They cut the cake in big pieces and it is delicious. And then it's time for presents. I open them slowly, wanting to enjoy the surprise of each gift.

Finally the last crumb is gone, the balloons are popped, and it is time to brush teeth. That's something you do after cake, right? An easement into bedtime. One story and Little Brother falls asleep in his bed. But big sister, that's another story. She brings up the subject of French braids. "Just one time, Grandma?" This grandma's a big softie, that's for sure.

23 comments:

  1. Sweet surprise for their most loved grandma from precious little ones! Treasured memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet time with your grands, Dotsie. Your grands have wonderful imaginations. Wonderful for them as well as you! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. .....and that's the joy of being a grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are definitely precious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing quite like living in the imaginary world of grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are real Happy Birthday wishes in order? Or are your grandchildren just masters at bedtime stalling? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such fun with the world of make believe and I think Grandma may be a a master! Makes me think of the fairy stories I told at bed time, as I encouraged young imaginations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy, Happy Birthday, Dotsie! I cannot imagine a better way to celebrate a birthday!! blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Birthday treasure! What a special party!

    Thank you for sharing this story!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it!!! "Pretend a little, Grandma," is priceless!!! Have a grand day!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How sweet and I'm sure everyone has sweet dreams too! Enjoy your week! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness...what a precious and beautiful story!! I love that they pretended such a wonderful party...and I love that it was for YOU...and I love that you immersed yourself in their play...and I love that you are a "big softie"! (Isn't that the role of a grandma?)

    ReplyDelete
  13. We grandmas are softies when it comes to those grandbabies, right? Lovely birthday post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I hear you...the things that I allow now that I'd never have allowed their father. A long time ago I purposed that, unless a thing was clearly wrong or would hurt them in any way, that my answers would be "yes."

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aren't grandmothers supposed to be softies? It is our role in life. Precious little reasons you have to be a softie. Enjoy!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, all grandmothers have a soft spot for their little grands! I know those "go to sleep" stalling tactics well--my grandboys are masters at stalling :) My granddaughter still has to learn, but will ask to rock a little longer , over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah what a sweet story! :) They are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Podso,
    Ah~h~h. . .the imaginations of children!!!
    . . .and the joys of G'Ma!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a sweet bedtime story! Wouldn't you just love to have that kind of energy at bedtime?!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful post. It is so important to feed their young imaginations! What a GREAT grandma you are! (and I don't mean great grandma). LOL

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful post. It is so important to feed their young imaginations! What a GREAT grandma you are! (and I don't mean great grandma). LOL

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the braids. ..sweet stories

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...