Friday, July 25, 2014

to market, to market

Five hundred and fifty-three years old? That is one of the oldest places I've been 
in--anything older was also on our trip to Istanbul. 
The Grand Bazaar, inside the walled part of Istanbul 
was just amazing--and busy and hot--and easy to get lost in. 
The Gardener was ready to sit down and have a coke. But I knew if I was going to shop 
it would have to be now. Our guide gave us very little time as we had colleagues to 
get to the airport. She gave us tiny maps of the maze of corridors, 
all looking the same, and pointed to the fountain where we would meet in 40 minutes.
We all split up and I sped off, totally bewildered. I could not even see the
 tiny map to follow it;  I didn't find much for little girls and nothing for little
boys . . . all the while the gorgeous scarves and pottery kept calling me. 
I seemed to have lost my skill in bargaining, and not knowing the language 
never helps. Crowds, pushing, noise, while all the time sweat running
down my back and feeling thirsty, yet wishing for a WC … I pushed forward,
 keeping an eye on my watch and wondering what I'd do if I got lost (no cell phones here). 
I did buy a scarf, and some small dolls and then rushed to 
find my way back to the fountain. I had memorized some landmarks near it.
I was so glad to see the familiar-looking fountain. But no one I knew was there,
and then I realized the landmarks were also not there. More than one fountain?
Of course that made sense. Mild panic set in as I set off again, breathing a prayer
and trying to use some innate sense of direction.
And I found "our" fountain, and our friends, and my Gardener.
And I was so grateful to have experienced the amazing Grand Bazaar.
Joining Mosaic Monday

19 comments:

  1. What bravery! And you did it! Honestly, I would not have even tried that's how much of a wimp I am. Did you show us your scarf? The dolls? I'd enjoy seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a gift for setting up your photographs. What you see through the lens (or on the back of a digital?!?) always works. Well done everytime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are truly brave. I don't think I would have tried either.

    What a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looks like a great place to wander around but you would need more time to see it all.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore the pictures, what an incredible place the pictures of the bizar is really cool...thanks for sharing those pic, love them

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...you tell an exciting story! I'd have been a wreck, I'm afraid! Good for you, pushing through the heat and the crowds and the time constraints...to be rewarded with a few treasures and a grand experience! And, of course, these gorgeous pictures to share with us...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning photos! We got to go to Istanbul in 2000 and what a fabulous place! Glad you didn't get lost! My friend wanted to follow this guy up to his place to see purses! She was fine with going alone - we all said absolutely not - crazy woman!! Fortunately her hubby went with her and she was fine but hello!!! You don't go off in the bazaar with a stranger!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could feel the panic in your story because I could identify with it especially since you had a schedule to keep. I think I would have been so mesmerized by all the architecture and fascinating goods that I wouldn't have taken note of the landmarks. If that little map couldn't get me back, I'm afraid I would have remained lost!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Forty minutes! That alone would be a panicky thought. So glad you found your way back. I've heard that the bazaars are full of twists and turns.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How exciting! That is one old market! Did you buy any pottery? It looks gorgeous!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have no sense of direction and would not have taken off on my own. Glad you found some treasures to buy in your short allotted time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a trip and you are the brave one! I am glad you found some items to bring home.. Love the photos.. Have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was getting quite worried there along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Goodness, my heart was racing...I would have been so upset if they had left you. Surely they would not have and yet things like that happen. You got some very nice images shares done while you were busy looking. I think I would have ordered from them online ;) Have a happy week...oh do they even have things like this from that part of the world online...;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You really are brave. I don't like that feeling of being lost and I have a terrible sense of direction! But everything for sale is so colorful and beautiful. My eyes would have been SO big! lol I love your banner! We hope to see a view like that....soon! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  16. So wonderful to see this part of your trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an experience you had visiting the Grand Bazaar - following in the footsteps of so many before you.
    You're transported to another time in history.
    I think you were very brave going off on your own with the Gardener to protect you.....
    I'm no good at "shopping out of my comfort zone" either. Yet knowing you'll probably never get that opportunity again, one feels obliged to buy something!
    I can imagine the dolls were a huge successs and a scarf is always a safe bet!
    You did well!!


    ReplyDelete
  18. The photos are gorgeous and I love the description including the sweat running down your back!

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  19. How nice to see these photos of such an exciting place. Good thing you have a good sense of direction to find your way the right fountain!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...